cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

empty vcbnames file VC backups error "file read failed(13)"

Fischer
Level 4

Hi All,

I just setup a vcb proxy server.  I am running netbackup 6.5.3 and the client on the vcb proxy is 6.5.3.  I have tried the fix for the error listed above to no avail.  As far as i can tell, when I request a list of the virtual machines, in the policy, then it creates the vcbnames file, but it is 0 bytes.  I have followed detailed instructions from vmware and symantec, but do not know where to go from here.  The only thing I have done in violation of documentation is put the vcb proxy on the same server as the vc server.  I don't believe this would make it so I can't browse virtual machines from a policy, but who knows. :)

Any assistance or troubleshooting steps would be much appreciated.  Thanks

edit:  when I follow the instructions listed on the fix http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295173.htm  and run the command below, then I get a full list of my virtual machines.  I hav ealso verified that the fi_cntl folder exists.  This is where I find the emtpy vcbnames file.

InstallPath\VMWare\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\vcbVmName -h ##ESX_or_VirtualCenter_hostname## -u <user_name> -p <password> -s any

Message Edited by Fischer on 02-02-2009 03:17 PM
Message Edited by Fischer on 02-02-2009 03:17 PM
2 REPLIES 2

Fischer
Level 4
Just one bump, and then I'll stop botherin you all.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If the docs state not to install VCB on your virtual center server, then perhaps it shouldn't be there.  There's usually a good reason for these things.

If you haven't got more tin to make a proper VCB then you can use a VDI to host the VCB - this is supported, but don't expect terrific speed/throughput.

When you've rebuilt your VCB and installed the NBU client, make sure that you create the all the log folders with...

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\mklogdir.bat

Also, have you added the Virtual Center Server to the NetBackup Master Server "Credentials" tab?

Getting VCB working can be tricky, stick with it, there is a steep learning curve - and it can and will work.

Anyway, in the NetBackup client logs folder you'll find that the "bpfis" folder is useful for debugging snapshot problems once you get it mostly working.

But initially I think you'll be looking in the "bpVMutil" logs sub-folder to help diagnose why you're having issues.

HTH.