error code 6 for veritas 6.5

koya
Level 4

Hi All,

i'm facing lot of failures done with  status 6

can you please advise me on same..

OS --> Solaris

NBU --- > 6.5.3

--> what is Application-Backup  in shedule type...?

let me know if you need any information

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you select a database policy type, like Oracle, NetBackup automatically creates a Default-Application-Backup schedule with a 24 x 7 window.

This schedule type is explained in detail in the agent guide for your database. You did not say which database  -

All NBU 6.5 manuals can be found here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290282.htm

(look under the heading called 'Database Extentions')

In short: Database policies normally have 2 schedules:

One Automatic Backup schedule that controls when the policy should start. This schedule will initiate a connection to the client to start the script name that is specified in the Backup Selection.

The client starts the database backup which starts a child job in Activity Monitor. This child job is a User type backup called Default-Application-Backup schedule. This schedule also determines the retention period for the backup.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Will_Restore
Level 6

Status 6 is generic database backup failure

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/knowledge_base_results.jsp?SearchTerm=Status+Code+6&pid=151...

You'll need to review client backup script output for the real trouble.  May need to engage your DBA to decipher it.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

A 6 refers to a User backup.

Which is when the client server starts a backup. 

Normally you have a policy with a schedule, and the NB master sees it is time to start a backup based on the policy/schedule/window.

But if you are on the client server and use use command line  (or the BAR) and start a backup.

It will call a policy and a USER schedule in that policy.

The error 6 makes me think that you do not have a USER schedule in the policy.

Lets say you are setting up a Oracle, Informix or SQL backup that gets kicked off via a script on the client server.  Then you would be referencing a policy, and that policy HAS to HAVE a user backup schedule for it to call.  (Now the database backups are very special and need agents).

But I could just as a admin, want to backup one directory on my client server.  I would still need a policy with a USER schedule for it to work, when starting it from the client server and not from the NB master.

koya
Level 4

i have shedule configured like..

shedule name : Default-Application-Backup

Shedule type : Application-Backup

it is for Sql database

can i knowwhat is exactly Application backup..

Thanks,

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Application backup

An application backup is a backup type that applies to all database agent clients. For more information on how to configure schedules for this type of backup, see the NetBackup guide that came with the product.

An application backup is when an application is set up to do a backup.

If you have the SQL agent, and you setup NB to make backups of SQL databases - that is an application backup

koya
Level 4

Thanks

Will_Restore
Level 6

In a Solaris environment, most likely this is an Oracle backup.  Sounds like you are new to this so you definitely want to get the DBA involved since Netbackup is just the scheduler - it basically says "go" and Oracle handles the actual backup process. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you select a database policy type, like Oracle, NetBackup automatically creates a Default-Application-Backup schedule with a 24 x 7 window.

This schedule type is explained in detail in the agent guide for your database. You did not say which database  -

All NBU 6.5 manuals can be found here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290282.htm

(look under the heading called 'Database Extentions')

In short: Database policies normally have 2 schedules:

One Automatic Backup schedule that controls when the policy should start. This schedule will initiate a connection to the client to start the script name that is specified in the Backup Selection.

The client starts the database backup which starts a child job in Activity Monitor. This child job is a User type backup called Default-Application-Backup schedule. This schedule also determines the retention period for the backup.

nbuno
Level 6

Though Scope of this error is very broad.Cud be from NBU side or from DB side or both

Still, This may be helpful to you :

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275115.htm

vrtseman
Level 3

all database backups involve the execution of some form of script on the database server.  in most cases either the script does not execute because of errors in teh code or the netbackup library linked to the database is not working.

make sure all enviromental variables are correctly setup (e.g. for policy and schedule)

try executing the script directly from the database server and monitor for errors that may indicate the issue.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

log into to the client server and open netbackup sql agent window-> file -> view status.

in the status window, click the job that face this problem and get us the error logs.