cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

errors when attempting to use two nics.

DogonSirius
Not applicable
We bought a data domain that we access through a cifs share and to increase performance we added secondary dedicated nics to our master and media servers. The data domain resides on a non routable layer 2 backup network that not all media servers can see. NIC 2 if they exist also connect to this network.  NIC 1 is connected to our production network so all netbackup application communications should travel over it and backup images should be written over NIC 2. The problem is when I enable NIC 2 I start seeing comm errors and bpclntcmd shows NIC 2 IP being used when master server and media servers names resolve to a network on NIC1 not NIC 2. The hosts are Windows 2008 x64 6.5.5 Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Make sure NIC2 doesn't have a default gateway configured, only NIC1 should have a default gateway. Check host files and DNS. NIC2 must be called something else that NIC1. Optional you can set REQUIRED_INTERFACE  (registry thing)  to force Netbackup to use specific IP. But you must fix the underlying IP/DNS mismatch first.

Christoph_Linde
Level 5
Employee

REQUIRED_INTERFACE is never a solution. It is allways a workaround around a bad network design. The network should do what you need, and that includes setting routes correctly on the server.

I agree to Nicolai, two default gateways will not work.