cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file read failed (13)

rraja
Level 4

One of our Solaris client backup getting failed with file read failed  (13). Please advice how to troubleshoot this issue. 

13-Jun-2011 07:44:25 - Error bpbrm (pid=10620) socket read failed: errno = 62 - Timer expired

13-Jun-2011 07:44:25 - end writing; write time: 0:15:01

file read failed  (13) 

Client

NetBackup Client Platform = Solaris, Solaris10

NetBackup Client Protocol Level = 7.0.1

Product = NetBackup

Version Name = 7.0

Version Number = 700000

Client OS/Release = SunOS 5.10 

Master Server and Media server running in NBU v 7.0.1

So far we have tried:

We have increased the client read timeout value(9600 sec) at client side. 

For a test purpose we excluded some folders which contain huge files from the backup but still the backups are failing with error code 13. 

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You should set the timeout value on the media server, not the client. See the note

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71821

rraja
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

As we have encounter this problem for only one client we changed this settings on that particular client.

Can you please let me know the difference between this setting(client read timeout)in Master server, Media server and client.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

As I understand it the value of the timeout relates to how long a SERVER must wait before terminating the connection to the client while its performing a read. The value of the timeout on the client side only applies when working with database extensions i.e. SQL when the client is actually waiting for SQL to send it data, and then to the media server.

Changing it on the media server won't really affect clients that work fine, its more of a worst-case-scenario to wait 10 minutes for instance should the client have issues. For regular clients that work the timeout will never be reached as data is received (read) quickly.