cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how could backup data to Netapp without using NDMP

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

I have question : How could backup data to NetApp without using NDMP because my boss he doesn't want to buy NDMP license. Anyone has idea on it? Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
You could mount the shares on a server andt backup it via the client, SLOOOW but works.

You need to checkmark the "Follow NFS" in the policy to make it work.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
You could mount the shares on a server andt backup it via the client, SLOOOW but works.

You need to checkmark the "Follow NFS" in the policy to make it work.

T_N
Level 6
you mean, I can mount NetApp as share to client, then backup it as data ?

CY
Level 6
Certified
Yes you can mount the NAS share (NFS) on a Unix client, and back up that client (with its policy "Follow NFS" enabled).  The NetApp data has to go through two network hops before it reaches NBU Media server.

In your case, since you have NetBackup Windows Media server,  mount the CIFS share on your NBU Windows Media server (I.e. mount the NAS share as network drive), and check "Backup network drives" in the backup policy for this Media server.  This reduces 1 network hop so hopefully backup can run faster. (Make sure you have Gbit Ethernet network for backup traffic).

Here is the backup data flow:

NetApp ----> LAN ----> NBU Media Server ---> (local or SAN) ---> Tape drive or VTL

stu52
Level 5
The best way is to mount the NetApp share to the media server.  However, if it is NFS you should mount it to a UNIX media server and if it is Windows you should mount the CIFS share to a Windows media server.  We found that the NFS was usually OK for backups in this manner, but CIFS can be really slow depending on the number of files.  If it's lots of small files, then it will be painfully slow.  If you don't have too much data, then this could be a good solution.

However, if you try it and it takes a long time you might be able to convince your boss that it's better to pay for the NDMP license.  We used to think that NDMP was a four-letter word (i.e. very bad), but after doing NetApp backups as a CIFS share on a media server we were convinced that NDMP was a better way to go.

Good luck.

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
One more thing.  If you have both CIFS and Unix security styles (or mixed) on your netapp filer, you almost certainly want to do the backups via CIFS (if you can't use NDMP).

NFS -> only backs up unix permissions on files.
CIFS -> can backup both unix and CIFS permissions.

I've read that in a Netapp document, but haven't been able to confirm.  Would be a good idea to test if CIFS permissions are part of your environment.

--
Darren

creany
Level 3

We have a good size workload on our netapp filers. we found that when we backup via shares and with one or two streams for backups it nearly killed our vfilers. disk and CPU went through the roof. When enquired with NetApps they recommended NDMP backing up volumes and not qtrees. from memory it was to do with better disk performance and how the vfilers actually use. while this is slightly off the original question it is something to factor in. if you have a couple hundred GB to backup you may not need NDMP but when it is scaled into TB,NDMP definitely gives you the speed you require to fit it into backup windows.
---

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Is it possible to backup NAS shares on a NetApp filer using the method described by Cy?

Thanks

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
BackupExec forum, with a link to this post (if you haven't already that is ;) )