cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you restore files from ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

i have this backup policy created by our vendor who implemented NBU. at that time, not knowing any better, i asked how to backup drives from one server. the vendor created the backup policy wherein instead of specifying drive C:, D:, E:, he used ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and assured me that it will backup all drives in the server. the server is a virtual machine with drives C: and G:.

now when i want to restore some files from drive G:, i don't get a list of folders and files that are stored in drive G:. i just get drive G: in the restore. the backup job never reported any errors during the weekly backup. drive C: however i can see the folders inside it and the files.

how do i restore then certain files from drive G: if i can't select the particular folder/files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Probably time to close off this discussion.

The initial query: 

how do you restore files from ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup? 

is answered as follows:

• By ensuring everything is backed up (easiest is to select 'Allow multiple data streams' so that a different job is created for each drive letter. )
    Check Kbytes backed up for each job.
  • By taking special care of DFSR folders as per Veritas recommendations.
  • By confirming that Exclude List is only excluding what it should.
  • By confirming drive letters, files and folders in bpbkar log.
  • By browsing in BAR GUI and doing test restores.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Marianne
Level 6
Which policy type did you use for this backup? Did you select 'Allow multiple data streams ' in Policy Attributes? How many streams run for this Policy? Any Exclude List for this client? Are there any volumes added as mount points under G-drive? Which GUI are you using? Windows Admin Console or Java?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Is 'Enable File Level Restore' enabled in the backup policy?   If not, you cannot restore an individual file, you will only be able to restore an entire (virtual) drive.

See:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vmware-file-level-restore

manatee
Level 6

i don't see that option anywhere.

fs01.PNG

manatee
Level 6

if upload a screenshot in the first reply above.

Windows policy type was used. data streams are not selected.

i'm using the Java console.

manatee
Level 6

the drive is only 500GB so if i can restore the drive and then the file/s then i'll do just that.

sdo

ok - it's not a vmware backup policy.

sdo

Could you show a screen shot of the restore GUI where you think you cannot see the G: drive?

Marianne
Level 6
Still need answers to these questions : Any Exclude List for this client? Are there any volumes added as mount points under G-drive?

manatee
Level 6

there are no excluse list. just to backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

i'm not sure how to answer the last question.

manatee
Level 6

last night i tried a restore, added a 500GB disk as drive H: but nothing was restored. i selected the restore to start from the last full backup (Friday) up to the last differential backup which is Tuesday.

Marianne
Level 6
Ask the server owner. Have you double checked Host Properties for Exclude List for this client?

manatee
Level 6

i can see the G: drive but not the directories in it. compared to C: drive where i can.

g.PNG

Marianne
Level 6
Forget about restore for now. You firstly need to confirm if everything was backed up. Create bpbkar log folder on the client and change logging level to 3. Create a test policy for D drive and run the backup. Check kbytes backed up and files and folders in bpbkar log.

manatee
Level 6

this is the exclude list i saw on this client.

gg.PNG

manatee
Level 6

i noticed that last line in the exclude list refers to G

is that the reason why G: list is empty?

manatee
Level 6

where should i create the bpbkar log folder?

Marianne
Level 6

Yes.

And the fact that it seems to be under DFSR control.

The data will be backed up as part of Shadow Copy Components.

See this TN:

Backup and Restore of Microsoft DFSR data using  NetBackup 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000095710

manatee
Level 6

i did as you instructed. backup only took a few minutes and the log file created is 26KB.

drive G: have about 300GB of data.

how should i share the log file?

manatee
Level 6

what does that mean?

how do i restore them if they are not part of NBU?