cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change host machine(and name) of a master (and EMM server) in a disaster situation?

Theodore73
Not applicable

Hello everybody!

Sorry for my languages and faults, I'm french :) 

-I've 1 master server with EMM server on this master.

-I've 10 medias servers

-i've approximately 40 clients.

Imagine I lose my master server in a disaster situation.

How to find a Master server with all informations as on the master I have lose?

(with policies, storages units, entire catalogs...).

I don't wish install a new server with same host name. I want have quickly a new master server with all the old informations of old master.

I've tried this:

I've shutdown my currently master server.

I've tried to install Master server on  a Media server with the setup 6.5.(launch setup, and click on modify installation, and install master server).

While installation, i've specified EMM server on this new master Server.

So normally, I've a master server and EMM Server on the same host.

I install patch 6.5.2 also.

Then, i specify on my new master to redirect restores from my old master(shutdown) to my new master.

(I go in netbackup Management | Host properties, select master server, double click on master server name, then in master server properties i click on General Server section, Locate Media Host Override and i fill fields From: (old master server) To: (New master server).

I configure with wizard, the Device configuration. 

So, now, I try to restore my entire catalog with recovery catalog wizard on my new master server. ( before shutdown my old master, i've performed a online, hot catalog backup with the feature who send a mail with a file which allow to restore after...)

So i restore with this file, restore is a successfull.

Now i should have a new master as the old master, no? ^^

But when i run administration console, I've a error: the EMM server failed to process request (78) ... I can't load data for activity monitor or media server, or storage units.... But i've policies, and others information...

Conclusion: EMM database is not very stable... don't work correctly...

I think maybe i've not use the good method...

Problem that i think: when i restore the catalog, i think a lot of informations are for my old master server, so my new master server or EMM server don't understand all.... because my old master server has a name different of my new master server... A solution for that? ( no official documentation of symantec..)

I've tried also:

Uninstall a media server and install media. (rather than modify a media in master).

So, Have you an idea to have quickly a new master server with all the configurations(restore catalog??) master when there is a disaster on the master?

Best regards,

thanks a lot and sorry for faults... If you want i can answer in french^^

2 REPLIES 2

BackupsVA
Level 3

You can't restore the catalog to a server with a different EMM server name. I was told by Symantec you could have a different host machine name but when you install 6.5 on the new master server input the old machine name as the EMM server.

I chose not to go this route though. I have a Windows 2003 DR server with a different host name. I run a script hourly that uses rsync to copy everything under the /netbackup/db/images folder and /netbackup/db/class folder over to the DR machine. The media host override setting is configured and that's all you need.   

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

A complete recovery of master and EMM server using catalog requires the same host name as it was on source from where you have brought the catalog tape. If you want to change the hostname, you may have to make manual changes at many places. The catalog you are restoring already has EMM server defined to it and all the media and devices really belongs to it. The EMM db configuration files has hostname defined in it. Now, if you have defined a new hostname for EMM server during install then your config file has newhostname but the catalog you have restored is bind to old hostname (specially EMM). If you are really good with ASA database then you can probably go in DB and play with it's config, which is really risky.

Bottom line, it's not supported. I am not saying it's not possible but it's not straight forward task.

You may want to look at alternate,

if restore is the only concern, then you can bring only image DB to this new master server and use

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER with old server and new server name

This should let you do the restores but if you intend to run the backups through this server, then you better have all of your media in use to a different pool, which none of the backup will use, or write protect your media just because EMM does not know if this media coming from other domain/server has active images or not (because you did not restore/recover EMM DB on this server).

Message Edited by Rakesh Khandelwal on 07-25-2008 10:40 AM