Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to extend the XFS PDDO partition

Spartacus81
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Friends,

I have Netbackup enviornment using puredisk server as PDDO and /Storage partition is now full which is an external Lun sits on a NetApp filer. 

i have extended the lun on the filer, restarted the iscsi deamon and server is now seeing the correct lun but the partition that sits on that lun is still the old size. I know the partition at OS level needs to be extended first and then the file system i havent had any joy in extending the partition yet. 

any suggestions will highly be appreicated. 

i tried xfs_growfs command but it does nothing.googled the issue and found you first need to extend the partition and then filesystems..does anyone know how to extend the partition without losin the data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Spartacus81
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marianne. Even though puredisk says it uses vxvm by default but in my case it didnt and there are no volume groups.. i raise that with symantec but they say if vxvm is not used we can't help.. anway i have managed to extend the lun by converting the partition into GPT using PARTED. it was bit of a pain but got there in the end. real challenge would be moving the 170 remote sites with 3 PD Servers at asia, emea and america to NBU when Puredisk goes EOL next year in Sept.

>>:/ # parted /dev/sdb

GNU Parted 1.6.25.1

Copyright (C) 1998 - 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR

PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Using /dev/sdb

(parted) mklabel gpt

(parted) print

Disk geometry for /dev/sdb: 0kB - 3848GB

Disk label type: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags

(parted) mkpart primary 0GB 3420GB

(parted) print

1       17kB    3420GB  3420GB  xfs

(parted) q

Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

>>:/ # fdisk /dev/sdb

reboot the server; mount the lun; which will still appear with an old size; go into yast and resize the partition. it will throw an error the partition is already mounted which can be ignored. come out of yast and you will see the resized lun. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can we assume that VxVM volume manager and VxFS filesystem is used on the PureDisk server?

If so, you need to use Storage Foundation commands to see the expanded lun and to grow the volume and filesystem.

Problably best to first stop all PDDO daemons/processes. l

Fistly, use 'vxdisk resize' so that VxVM can see increased lun:

vxdisk -g <disk-group> resize <disk-access-name>
(use 'vxdisk list' to obtain disk access name)

Next, resize volume and filesystem in one step:

vxresize -g <disk-group> -F vxfs  <volume-name>  <new size>

See http://sfdoccentral.symantec.com/sf/4.1/linux/manpages/vxvm/vxresize_1m.htm

Spartacus81
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marianne. Even though puredisk says it uses vxvm by default but in my case it didnt and there are no volume groups.. i raise that with symantec but they say if vxvm is not used we can't help.. anway i have managed to extend the lun by converting the partition into GPT using PARTED. it was bit of a pain but got there in the end. real challenge would be moving the 170 remote sites with 3 PD Servers at asia, emea and america to NBU when Puredisk goes EOL next year in Sept.

>>:/ # parted /dev/sdb

GNU Parted 1.6.25.1

Copyright (C) 1998 - 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR

PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Using /dev/sdb

(parted) mklabel gpt

(parted) print

(parted) mkpart primary 0GB 3420GB

(parted) print

1       17kB    3420GB  3420GB  xfs

(parted) q

Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

>>:/ # fdisk /dev/sdb

reboot the server; mount the lun; which will still appear with an old size; go into yast and resize the partition. it will throw an error the partition is already mounted which can be ignored. come out of yast and you will see the resized lun.