cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imgaes with different expiration date on tape.

Oren_Mark
Level 2
How do I make Netbackup to write images with different expiration date, but same retention level on the same tape. 
I have a policy with one schedule that runs on-demand whenevr someone wants to backup something. The retention level of that policy is 2 years. I would like NetBackup to fill the tape as long as it not empty, no matter what are the expiration images previously written to that tape, and I would like to do it on volume pool base.    
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6

Allow Multiple Retentions Per Media

The Allow Multiple Retentions per Media setting allows NetBackup to mix retention

levels on media. It applies to media in both robotic and nonrobotic drives. By default, the

check box is clear and each volume can contain backups of only a single retention level.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Mixing Retention Levels on Backup Volumes

By default, NetBackup stores each backup on a volume that has existing backups at the

same retention level (the period is not checked). For example, if a backup has a retention

level of 2, NetBackup stores it on a volume with backups at retention level 2. When

NetBackup encounters a backup with a different retention level than the previous backup,

it switches to an appropriate volume. Because volumes remain assigned to NetBackup

until all the backups on them have expired, this approach results in more efficient use of

media. Otherwise, for example, one small backup with an infinite retention prevents a

volume from being reused, even if all other backups on the volume have expired.

If you want to mix retention levels on volumes, Host Properties > Master Server.

Double-click a server and select Media. Select Allow multiple retentions per media or

add ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA to the bp.conf file. (See

“NetBackup Configuration Options” on page 134.)

If you keep only one retention level on each volume, do not use any more retention levels

than necessary. This consumes resources and also increases the number of volumes

required

Stumpr2
Level 6

Oren Mark wrote:
 I would like to do it on volume pool base.    

As shown above, it is a global attribute set on each media server and is not configurable down to the volume pool level. If it is set on a media server then it applies to all volume pools used by that media server. At least that is how I understand it to work.

Message Edited by Stumpr on 04-07-2008 05:03 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
The information I gave you was from NetBackup 5.x
In Netbackup 6.0 the ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA is no longer kept in the bp.conf file. Please see this technote:

DOCUMENTATION: Certain bp.conf entries, vm.conf entries, and touch files are now set using nbemmcmd in VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0.

Details:
Manual:  
VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I
VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 Media Manager System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux

Page(s):  n/a

Modification Type:  Supplement

Modification:
Starting with NetBackup 6.0, the Enterprise Media Manager (EMM) server handles some configurations previously set in the bp.conf , vm.conf and touch files.  These settings are now configured using the nbemmcmd command.  

To see which settings are now configured using nbemmcmd run the following command:
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./nbemmcmd -listsettings -machinename <EMM_server>
The following configuration settings were found:
ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA="no"
DISABLE_DISK_STU_JOB_THROTTLING="no"
DISABLE_STANDALONE_DRIVE_EXTENSIONS="no"
MEDIA_REQUEST_DELAY="0"
MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE="no"
NON_ROBOTIC_MEDIA_ID_PREFIX="A"
MAX_REALLOC_TRIES="1000"
DISALLOW_NONNDMP_ON_NDMP_DRIVE="no"
DO_NOT_EJECT_STANDALONE="yes"
DONT_USE_SLAVE="no"
DRIVE_ERROR_THRESHOLD="2"
MEDIA_ERROR_THRESHOLD="2"
TIME_WINDOW="12"
RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL="yes"
VAULT_CLEAR_MEDIA_DESC="no"
Command completed successfully.

Note:  Additional options such as DISABLE_AUTOMATIC_HOST_NAME_ADD, DRIVE_NAME_SEED, and SSO_SCAN_ABILITY will only appear for shared storage option (SSO) environments.

These values can be changed using either the Host Properties in the NetBackup Administration Console or the nbemmcmd -changesetting <options> -machinename <EMM_server> command. Setting these options in the bp.conf, vm.conf or by creating touch files will have no effect.  

The following values were previously configured using the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file in NetBackup 4.5/5.x. Refer to the NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I for additional information on these options.
  • ALLOW_MULTIPLE_RETENTIONS_PER_MEDIA
  • DISABLE_STANDALONE_DRIVE_EXTENSIONS
  • MEDIA_REQUEST_DELAY
  • MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE
  • NON_ROBOTIC_MEDIA_ID_PREFIX

The following values were previously configured using the /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf file in NetBackup 4.5/5.x. Refer to the NetBackup 6.0 Media Manager System Administrators Guide for UNIX and Linux for additional information on these options.
  • DISALLOW_NONNDMP_ON_NDMP_DRIVE
  • DO_NOT_EJECT_STANDALONE
  • DRIVE_NAME_SEED
  • RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL
  • SSO_SCAN_ABILITY
  • VAULT_CLEAR_MEDIA_DESC

The following values were previously configured using touch files created in the /usr/openv/netbackup directory in NetBackup 4.5 and 5.x:
  • DONT_USE_SLAVE
  • DRIVE_ERROR_THRESHOLD  
  • MEDIA_ERROR_THRESHOLD
  • TIME_WINDOW  

The following values are new for NetBackup 6.0:

DISABLE_AUTOMATIC_HOST_NAME_ADD
Enables EMM to automatically add a host name if the host name appears to be valid. An example of an invalid host name would be a name that duplicates another host.

DISABLE_DISK_STU_JOB_THROTTLING
If enabled, disables the disk storage unit job throttling that occurs when disk storage units approach their high water mark. Disk storage unit throttling limits the number of jobs that are started simultaneously to approach the high water mark more accurately. The default value is to throttle disk storage units approaching their high water mark.

MAX_REALLOC_TRIES
Enables you to set the maximum number of times some failed mount requests are allowed to be retried (with a different drive and/or media).

To see which settings can be changed, run nbemmcmd -changesetting with no options. This will display a usage statement along with a listing of options available for changing EMM settings.