cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install NBU on media server

Arun_K
Level 6

What is the difference between installing NBU on master and media server.

Process for Both are same I guess.I have read the manual also.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

When you specify the master server/emm server in the installation. NetBackup then knows not to configure and start up Master server processes, such as the Sybase database, nbemm, nbpem, nbrb, nbjm, bprd etc.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I fail to understand why you ask when you know the answer. Go ahead, install. You will see. That is how all of us learned: manual plus practical experience.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Almost no difference. 

Arun_K
Level 6

@Revaroo:So where comes the difference so that NBU know that it is the media server

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

When you specify the master server/emm server in the installation. NetBackup then knows not to configure and start up Master server processes, such as the Sybase database, nbemm, nbpem, nbrb, nbjm, bprd etc.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

When you install on a server and you specify that same server name as the master server then it is configured a a master.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The only difference is the entreies in either the registry (windows) or bp.conf (unix).

If you change the SERVER to point to itself, and the EMM entry to point to itself when you restart the services it will start as a master, I think (never done it).

Pretty sure, as revaroo says, the difference in minimal, all the same binaries are installed.

Certainly I can take a master and  by changing the above mentioned entreies and  pointing them at another master, making sure the 'other master' has a SERVER entry for it, when the services are restarted, the 'other master' will detect the original master as a media server and automatically add it to EMM.  On the 'original master' it will only start the processes required for it to be a media server.

Martin

Arun_K
Level 6

Please dont make it too complex .I am all new to this.A beginer