cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

library replaced

Arun_K
Level 6

Our library was replaced today.It was a standalone drive(only one drive and one robot)

After drive was replaced and server was rebooted .Scan command worked.

But when i got for the Device configuration,It was showing me 2 libray and 2 drives.

What to do?

I have not started NBU services after library was replaced

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So there you have it - you found the issue, well done.

You know, when something doesn't work for me, I first confirm I did what I think the right steps were, and if I did, then I will try again and change things slightly.

In the case like yours, I'd restart ltid, if that didn't work, I might restart NBU etc ...

You just have to 'play about' with it sometimes.

M

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You need to start the services.

If there are no other drives / roboots on this master server than you have mentioned above, I would just delete them and readd the library in the device wizard.

1. nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -allrecords

2. readd in device wizard

BUT FIRST

On the old robot, in the GUI select inventory and advanced options and check the barcode rule and media id gen rules

Write these down

Do the steps above.

Goto inventory the new library and reset the barcode and media id generation rules as they were previous set on the old library.

Run inventory.

Regards,

Martin

Job done ...

Martin

Arun_K
Level 6

Does Restart NBU  service makes a difference so that it was showing old robot also along with new robot and drive?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Probably. We are not there with you to know if it is the same device or the new and od one.

When you have real issues, always give as much info as possible - like output of 'scan' command and screen shots of Device Wiizard.

You ask so many questions here - pity you did not ask for advice on how to replace a library before it took place?

There have also been many examples of similar questions on this forum, like this recent one: 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/change-tape-library-netbackup-71

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, the old devices need removing, though a restart of ltid would be required for this when they have been removed.

There is a command to 'replace' a drive and robot, but this is harder to explain, and to be honest, if there are not any other devices, I personally use this method as my preference.

Martin

Arun_K
Level 6

The old device was removed.And the onsite team confirmed that new ddevice has been attached to the server.Please bring the server up and check at NBU end.

I run the scan command and it was showing one library and one drive.

And when i ran Device wizard,i saw 2 drives and 2 robots.This was because i did not restart the ltid service or NBU services before running device configuration wizard?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I have no idea - how did you remove the old device, maybe still in windows config.

Just try restarting ltid and try again, does it then only show one drive/ robot ?  IF not, you will probably need to reboot the system.

Just tried this on mine - remove a tape drive, did not restart ltid.

Ran device wizard, it did not detect the drive I had removed.

Just try the steps I mentioned, see if that works.

M

Arun_K
Level 6

It is a unix system.Server was down.Onsite men replace the robot.And then server was powered on.

Then i run the scan command.It was showing 1 robot and 1 drive.

I delete the storage unit by right clicking on it.

Then when i run the DW ,it was showing 4 devices.2 drive and 2 robots.

Why so?It should have shown only 1 robot and 1 drive.

Marianne
Level 6

SCREAMING at us in bold letters does not help.

Again. We don't know. We were not there.

You never showed us output of scan or any screenshots.

You never told us if you restarted daemons after removal of old devices. ANY change to devices needs a restart after completion.  See: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/if-attribute-drive-type-or-robot-number-changed-then-...

There is no need to restart anything BEFORE you run Device Wizard, only AFTER changes have been made.

Arun_K
Level 6

I did not restart any daemons or services after removal of old devices or when new devices were add.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I did not say anything about deleting the storage unit.

"I delete the storage unit by right clicking on it."

OK, lets start from this point.

Did you run the nbemmcmd -deletalldevices -allrecords command ?

If not, run this.  If you did, run this again.

Once run, restart ltid.

Look in GUI, have ALL devices (not storage units) disappeared ?

Refresh GUI to be sure

Then when GUI shows nothing, run tpconfig -d to be extra sure, from teh command line.

Next, run device wizard - does it now only show one drive/robot

Arun_K
Level 6

Thanks Martin.

Issue was i did not restart my NBU services after library was replaced.I estart NBU services and then run DW,it then shows Drive 1 and library 1.

Marianne
Level 6

I am quoting a good friend's words here:

"The thing is, it’s really not that hard to work stuff out, if you haven’t restarted and you think it might make a difference, then restart and find out ..."

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So there you have it - you found the issue, well done.

You know, when something doesn't work for me, I first confirm I did what I think the right steps were, and if I did, then I will try again and change things slightly.

In the case like yours, I'd restart ltid, if that didn't work, I might restart NBU etc ...

You just have to 'play about' with it sometimes.

M

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hmm, I couldn't have said it better myself ....