Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

licensing requirements for Exchange 2010

milty99
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

We want to backup an Exchange 2010 DAG Solution using NBU 7.

We have 3 Exchange Servers in a DAG with one of the Servers being a passive node. The passive node will be where we will be taking the backups from. We also want to use GRT eventually.

Our reseller says that we need to purchase a Tier 3 Database and Application Agent as well as a Tier 3 Enterprise Client license to backup the Passive node.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Mark
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

milty99
Level 4
Hi

I have now had it confirmed that you require an Enterprise Client license and the Database and Application Agent to backup Exchange 2010 DAG!

This is due to the requirement for the Snapshot portion of the Enterprise client that enables VSS Snaps.

Mark

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

milty99
Level 4
Hi

Since this post I have heard from another reseller who says that I only require the Database agent and not the Enterprise client license? Now I am really confused has anyone any thoughts on what licenses I require to backup Exchange 2010 DAG passive node?

thanks

Mark

nairdheeraj
Level 4

I would say that you would require only a Database agent for securing your exchange backups. For the tier level it would based on the hardware on which your exchange is running..

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I was hoping that a Symantec Employee would come to the rescue...
The NBU for Exchange Admin Guide covers license requirements, but it is not clear on DAG.
Enterprise Client license key is only required if you want to configure snapshot backups.
p. 29:
The following snapshot options or Exchange configurations require a separate Snapshot Client license:
■ Instant recovery
■ Off-host backups
■ Backups using a hardware provider
■ A CCR environment

milty99
Level 4

Thanks for the responses.

I also read the manual and was still not clear.

It appears that Exchange 2010 backups utilise the Windows VSS snaps. Is this a viable reason why an Enterprise Client license will be required?

regards

Mark.

Girish_N_
Level 3
Partner Accredited
You require Enterprise Client to do LAN free backup, otherwise you require Standard Client.

milty99
Level 4
Hi

I have now had it confirmed that you require an Enterprise Client license and the Database and Application Agent to backup Exchange 2010 DAG!

This is due to the requirement for the Snapshot portion of the Enterprise client that enables VSS Snaps.

Mark