cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media full

Mark_M
Level 4
Is there a method in netbackup 5.0 MP3 for look how much is full?
In netbackup managment there is 'media contents' but I Would find, for example, an percentage that indicate how much the single media is full, for know when I must change the pool of media.

Thank's
5 REPLIES 5

Banu_SAHIN
Level 3
You can take a list of all your medias with "bpmedialist -U" command. The output shows you a lot of things such as number of images ,expiration dates, media status etc. You can use this ouput for analysing the data (parsing with script ,looking on excel etc.)
Regards.

Emin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
If you set up a scratch pool then NetBackup will automatically pull volumes on an as needed basis for repopulating volume pools. Also, NetBackup will automatically place expired volumes back into the scratch pool. You can also set up barcode rules to automatically place new media into the scratch directory. Place all your eggs in one basket (scratch pool) and then watch the one basket. Then you can sit back, relax and not worry about 96 errors.

Mark_M
Level 4
thank's at all.

Is all ok.

TempoVisitor
Level 4
There is no way to know the filling percentage of a tape.
1st - NBU does not know the capacity of the tapes
2nd - Assuming you use the hardware compression (automatic under windows, /dev/rtm/cbn under solaris) you never know how much data you'll be able to put on a tape.

What I usually suggest is : Make your own statistics !

-Develop your strategy to use one volume pool by application being backed up (The compression rate is note the same for system files, home directories, databases ... UNIX and Windows ?)
- Analyse the FULL media in each pool and get the average amount of data THIS application can put on a tape
- Use this average value as the reference for this Pool for another extract, and you'lle get the filing %age

You can use available_media and grep on the FULL status, then get the Amount of written data .... or you can adapt your own bpmedialist command.

Kerkael

Richard_Bannist
Level 5
yeah i use separate pools for ORACLE stuff, etc. On LTO1's for Oracle we get about 300+ GB on a tape. One of our apps uses mainly huge ascii files so they compress like mad, so we get 400+ GB on those tapes. As previous poster said, use available_media command to look for FULL tapes. I personally have a script that sends an email every day with all the FULL tapes. we swap some or all of those out most days and replace with SCRATCH tapes. Since the days of 3.1.1 netbackup i have been running my own scripts which move these tapes to scratch pool (i turned off the scratch feature long ago) so that our scratch pool only ever has physically present tapes in it, ie a true scratch pool.

Rich