cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media problems

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
I have some old media that have gotten lost in some sort of purgatory. My media manager has them listed in my robot. However I can't seem to get any reports on them.

I did a vmquery -deassignbyid after bpexpidate wouldn't work. That put it into the scratch pool, but I still can't run any reports on it. I'd also like to import the tape back in, or a least read it so I can verify there isn't any data on it. When I run import I get.

6/15/2006 11:43:43 AM - begin Import
6/15/2006 11:43:43 AM - started process bptm (4820)
6/15/2006 11:43:43 AM - started process bptm (4820)
6/15/2006 11:43:43 AM - mounting 300792
6/15/2006 11:44:50 AM - Error bptm(pid=4820) ERR - Assign of media id 300792 in Media Manager volume database failed, host isg999999sas023, invalid volume pool.
6/15/2006 11:44:52 AM - Error bpimport(pid=4772) Status = cannot perform specified media import operation.
6/15/2006 11:44:52 AM - end Import; elapsed time: 00:01:09
cannot perform specified media import operation(176)

When I run bpexpdate I get 'cannot find in media database or media manager'.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
I guess this is what you are looking for

If there are database inconsistencies with a media, bpexpdate may not be able to expire it, though it lists as assigned.

For example, if a volume is assigned, it is normally expected that it would have a associated media server name recorded in the EMM database. This is the media server that currently "owns" the media.

If a volume is assigned, but does not have a media server listed in the EMM database, there is an inconsistency. Therefore, bpexpdate may not work and a procedure must be followed to ensure that the media is expired. Media in this sort of predicament may or may not have unexpired images associated with it.

Log Files: N/A

Resolution:
The procedure for analyzing and eliminating inconsistencies for a media is as follows, using "A00001" as an example media ID:

1. Use nbemmcmd to list the media server record for the media ID. If the Media Server: hostname appears as NONE, yet there is a value for Time Assigned:, this indicates an incomplete EMM media record. In the output below, "A00001" is assigned, but has no associated media server.
nbemmcmd
Unix: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/
Windows: \NetBackup\bin\admincmd

Command syntax example and output:
nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid A00001

NBEMMCMD, Version:6.0(20050906)
=====================================================
Media GUID: a5ea9a7a-8d50-13f4-8018-cef85f775cf7
Media ID: A00001
Partner: -
Media Type: HCART
Barcode: A00001
Partner Barcode: --------
Media Server: NONE
Created: 04/27/2005 16:20
Time Assigned: 05/04/2005 04:20
Command completed successfully.

2. Determine if the media ID exists in the merge table. If the media ID appears in this listing, then a different issue exists, do not proceed further. Contact Symantec Technical Services for assistance with getting this media ID out of the merge table. The following example shows no media IDs in the merge table:
nbemmcmd

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mergetable

The following number of records were found:0

3. From the same path, type "bpimmedia -mediaid A00001" to determine if there are any images on this piece of media. If there are no images, then no output will be displayed. If there are images, an IMAGE line and FRAG line will appear for each valid image on the media ID.

4. As long as the media ID does not appear in the merge table, the bptm command can be used to build a complete media record for each affected media ID. Then the volume can then be unassigned and expired. This will require the media ID of the affected media, as well as the density and the volume pool number. The following example is from a Solaris 9 server with a media ID of A00001, a density of HCART, that resides in Volume Pool 1 (NetBackup).

bptm

Command syntax example:
bptm -makedbentry -m A00001 -den hcart -poolnum 1

5. Once this command completes, run the "nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid A00001" command again from step 1. There should now be a valid Media server: hostname.

6. The tape can now be expired with the bpexpdate command:
bpexpdate
Unix: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/
Windows: \NetBackup\bin

bpexpdate -m A00001 -d 0

Are you SURE you want to delete A00001 y/n (n)? y

Now that the media is expired, it can be used for backups again and will be overwritten. If there were images found in step 2 for this media, or if it is desired to retain the data on this media, an import should be performed immediately to ensure that valuable data is not overwritten on that media.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Baird_C
Level 3
I ran across this in Linux. See this technote.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280202.htm

List Media

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid ######

to get pool number

make entry

bptm -makedbentry -m ##### -den hcart -poolnum ##

if needed unfreeze media�

bpmedia -unfreeze -m ######

verify Media server�

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid ######

delete media�

bpexpdate -m ###### -d 0 -host "mediaserver"

Stumpr2
Level 6
This technote is lengthy but probably has the solution you are looking for.
Media Manager error 94: "Volume not in specified pool" - scenarios and solutions
http://support.veritas.com/docs/247898

Stumpr2
Level 6
Chris,
Its been a week. Whats up?

Chris_Colvin
Level 4
I've had a variety of projects going on, this one has been put on the back burner for awhile, but the two reply posts where helpful with my overall NBU knowledge.

I'm having some hardware problems preventing me from really going crazy with my 3590 to 9940 migration project. Once our T10000s get in then I should have access to the older drives to work on migration.

zippy
Level 6
Chris,

This has little to do with what your asking, but I thought I would throw it in.

Dont use the

If needed unfreeze media�

bpmedia -unfreeze -m ######

Media that is Frozen by Netbackup is marked as Frozen because of an error found on the tape and in some rare caes is caused by a bad tape drive; 99.9% of the time a tape that is Frozen should not be re-introduced into your enviroment, you should remove this media from the library and put it someplace safe, like Iron Mountain, data can be restored from this tape, once the image has expired, then delete the tape from your database.

JD

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
I guss this should help

If there are database inconsistencies with a media, bpexpdate may not be able to expire it, though it lists as assigned.

For example, if a volume is assigned, it is normally expected that it would have a associated media server name recorded in the EMM database. This is the media server that currently "owns" the media.

If a volume is assigned, but does not have a media server listed in the EMM database, there is an inconsistency. Therefore, bpexpdate may not work and a procedure must be followed to ensure that the media is expired. Media in this sort of predicament may or may not have unexpired images associated with it.

Resolution:
The procedure for analyzing and eliminating inconsistencies for a media is as follows, using "A00001" as an example media ID:

1. Use nbemmcmd to list the media server record for the media ID. If the Media Server: hostname appears as NONE, yet there is a value for Time Assigned:, this indicates an incomplete EMM media record. In the output below, "A00001" is assigned, but has no associated media server.
nbemmcmd

2. Determine if the media ID exists in the merge table. If the media ID appears in this listing, then a different issue exists, do not proceed further. Contact Symantec Technical Services for assistance with getting this media ID out of the merge table. The following example shows no media IDs in the merge table:
nbemmcmd

3. From the same path, type "bpimmedia -mediaid A00001" to determine if there are any images on this piece of media. If there are no images, then no output will be displayed. If there are images, an IMAGE line and FRAG line will appear for each valid image on the media ID.

4. As long as the media ID does not appear in the merge table, the bptm command can be used to build a complete media record for each affected media ID. Then the volume can then be unassigned and expired. This will require the media ID of the affected media, as well as the density and the volume pool number. The following example is from a Solaris 9 server with a media ID of A00001, a density of HCART, that resides in Volume Pool 1 (NetBackup).

bptm

Command syntax example:

5. Once this command completes, run the "nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid A00001" command again from step 1. There should now be a valid Media server: hostname.

bpexpdate

bpexpdate -m A00001 -d 0

Now that the media is expired, it can be used for backups again and will be overwritten. If there were images found in step 2 for this media, or if it is desired to retain the data on this media, an import should be performed immediately to ensure that valuable data is not overwritten on that media.

chiao
Ankur Kumar

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5

Resolution:

nbemmcmd

nbemmcmd

bptm

Command syntax example:

bpexpdate

bpexpdate -m A00001 -d 0

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5

Resolution:

nbemmcmd

nbemmcmd

bptm

Command syntax example:

bpexpdate

bpexpdate -m A00001 -d 0

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5

Resolution:

nbemmcmd

nbemmcmd

bptm

Command syntax example:

bpexpdate

bpexpdate -m A00001 -d 0

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi guys
Some sort of abug or fallacy, i tried posting and it came up with some error.