cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move from CA ARCserve Backup software to Veritas Netbackup backup software.

Harpreet_Singh_
Level 3
Dear All,

Any one knows if recently any one has moved from CA ARCserve Backup to Veritas Netbackup Software.

As in my steup we have two team's who are managing CA ARCserve Backup and Veritas Netbackup Software.

Netbackup software is managed by Unix team and CA ARCserve Backup is managed by the Win team. 

We would like to combine both the platform in one backup software. Please advise if some one has did the same and what was the results, i.e. stability of the software, performace and system administration etc.

With Regards.

Harpreet Singh
1 REPLY 1

J_Legbandt
Level 2
I am currently migrating my Windows backup environment from CA ArcServe to NetBackup. So far my experience has been great. My only issue has been with the poor management of the ArcServe environment. To get around ArcServe client licensing, many (over 100) clients have been backed up over the network using Windows administrative shares (i.e. - \\hostname\e$\backup\path\). While the SysAdmin team understands the need for the client install, the Application Teams have been hesitant to have a "new" and "unproven" application installed on their servers. We are overcoming this obstacle and are successfully moving forward.

We stood up the initial environment (one master server and two media servers attached to an EMC VTL which is hosting a NBU media server for output to a Quantum Scalar i500 for physical tape vaulting) in about a week. Around 75% of our backups were migrated over to the NBU environment after initial testing was completed. The remaining jobs will be moving over after we complete head to head testing for MSSQL database backups (NBU Client vs. LightSpeed).

NBU operates a lot better than our old ArcServe environment. A portion of that has to do with a better architecture (higher tape density, backup to disk vs backup to tape), but it feels a lot faster and more efficient than the old environment.

The best thing about NetBackup is restores, in the old ArcServe environment we could never get the restore by tree function to work and were forced to use restore by job. Restoring with NBU is much easier.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Josh