cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nb 6.5 licensing question..

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
Hi... I have a question about netbackup 6.5 capacity model licensing ..
When I have 1 master server, 2 media servers and clients only for file-level backup and 1 TB of data what type of capacity license should I use? Standard or Enterprise ????? I have licensing guide but I can find clean answer..

marekk

Message Edited by Marek Kedzierski on 09-22-2007 03:36 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Peter_E
Level 4
Employee
With the new capacity based model you should remember the following:

1) Clients and app/db pack licenses are still separate - therefore these must be purchased in addition to capacity.

2) Capacity is measured in “Front End Terabytes” or Front End TB. A Front End Terabyte is defined as the aggregate amount of data on the systems being backed up measured as the largest aggregate full. (i.e. the total amount of source data protected).

3) There are 3 tiers of capacity available - standard, enterprise & premium.  You purchase the highest tier that will be used for a given set of backups/data.  In other words, if you plan to use the new Flexible Disk capabilities before sending data to tape for a given server, then you would allocate that capacity to the enterprise tier even though the final destination is tape (flexible disk falls under the enterprise tier).

You can purchase any combination of capacity tiers for your environment.

e.g., if 30% of your data goes straight to tape then you could allocate 30% of capacity to standard tier and the remaining 70% to enterprise tier (assuming you did not plan to use features in the premium tier). There are additional examples in the P&L guide.

4) The complete NetBackup domain must be converted to the capacity model.  If this is an existing customer, there is a tool on the support site to help you calculate how many 'front-end TBs' currently used in an environment. 

Finally, You should know that a customer can switch back to the traditional model (from capacity) at any time if they feel it is not helping them simplify how they manage their environment.

Hope this helps.

Peter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Peter_E
Level 4
Employee
With the new capacity based model you should remember the following:

1) Clients and app/db pack licenses are still separate - therefore these must be purchased in addition to capacity.

2) Capacity is measured in “Front End Terabytes” or Front End TB. A Front End Terabyte is defined as the aggregate amount of data on the systems being backed up measured as the largest aggregate full. (i.e. the total amount of source data protected).

3) There are 3 tiers of capacity available - standard, enterprise & premium.  You purchase the highest tier that will be used for a given set of backups/data.  In other words, if you plan to use the new Flexible Disk capabilities before sending data to tape for a given server, then you would allocate that capacity to the enterprise tier even though the final destination is tape (flexible disk falls under the enterprise tier).

You can purchase any combination of capacity tiers for your environment.

e.g., if 30% of your data goes straight to tape then you could allocate 30% of capacity to standard tier and the remaining 70% to enterprise tier (assuming you did not plan to use features in the premium tier). There are additional examples in the P&L guide.

4) The complete NetBackup domain must be converted to the capacity model.  If this is an existing customer, there is a tool on the support site to help you calculate how many 'front-end TBs' currently used in an environment. 

Finally, You should know that a customer can switch back to the traditional model (from capacity) at any time if they feel it is not helping them simplify how they manage their environment.

Hope this helps.

Peter

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi Peter, where can we all find the "P & L Guide"?  Thanks.

Message Edited by sdw303 on 09-24-2007 08:12 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
Dave? You're not a reseller?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
End user, City, London.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Well I commend you on your posts. You are very knowledgeable in NetBackup. I thought you must be a reseller or consultant.