cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup 5.1 and VCB

Rob_Jones
Level 2
Hello

in the process of implementing VCB (VMware consolidated backup), and had a few questions
I understand that for older (pre 6.5) versions of NBU, the VCB integration module is required, ive installed that. In order to perform VCB based backups, will i need a separate policy for each VM? Or can all VMs be captured in one policy? I currently have 2 VCB proxies, but was curious as how to spread the load betweene each host. Id also like to be able to backup only selected VMs for the time being. From glancing through some of the scripts whcih netbackup launches, it seems to get the VM name from the job name...

can anyone shed some light on how this actually works?

cheers

3 REPLIES 3

RonCaplinger
Level 6
Rob,
No you are not required to only have one backup client in a VCB policy, but you may find it helps.  We have no more than 3 VM's per policy, as we are willing to take a chance on only having to rerun the backups for three clients at a time.  We are waiting to upgrade to 6.5.1 to get the full benefit of the VCB integration with NBU.

VCB is going to create its snapshot files for each server on your VCB proxy/NBU media server one after the other, not all at the same time.  Then they will get backed up, again, one after the other from the proxy to tape.  If you have more than one client in the policy and a subsequent snapshot of a client fails, or the backup of that policy fails, all of the snapshots will automatically (usually) be deleted from the proxy and rerun from the beginning.  This can cause what should have been a short backup process to take twice as long, assuming you don't have further problems.  That cleanup isn't always foolproof, though.

As for only backing up selected VM's, absolutely, you can do that.  The actual client name you will back up will be the name of the proxy server, not the individual host names.  Then, in the Backup Selection List, you will be specifying which servers to back up in that policy in a special format, like this: "f:\mnt\servername.mycompany.com-FullVM".  If you are backing up more than one VM in this policy, you will have more than one line like this.

FYI, we have also encountered times where a backup fails, cleans up all of the snapshot files on the proxy, butVCB thinks a snapshot for a client still exists, when it does not.  We then have to have the VMware team do some magic on their side to reset it before we could run the backup again.

Rob_Jones
Level 2
ok, almost there
seeing exit code 59 (access to client was denied) on the master server during execution of the policy
ive added v:\vcbmount\servername.domain.whatever-FullVM in the selectons list...
any ideas. did this work straight out the box for you?

cheeers

Rob_Jones
Level 2
are you aware of any special configuration requirements on the master, if your vcb proxy is not a media server?
I read some forum postings that you need to modify bp.conf on your master, and include the vcbproxy as a server. (server=vcbproxyname). I will have political problems tryin to get the Unix netbackup team to do this...

also, if u go to a command prompt on your vcb proxy, browse the netbackup folder in your vcb framework folder, (look for bpbrowse-start.bat)

can u run bpbrowse-start.bat  <yourVCBpolicyname> vm.domain.com-fullVM
Im unable to do this, nothing happens, after from a creation of a folder in my VCBmount point called vm.domain.com-fullvm. Running without the -fullvm, mounts the C drive, but not any subsequent drives.
Its the full image im after (restoring the files and then importing using vmware converter is the easiest part of the whole operation!)

thanks