cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup migration from 7.0 to 7.1

Lotfi_BOUCHERIT
Level 5

Hello,

I am planing to migrate our Netbackup master/media/clients from the version 7.0 to 7.1.

The Netbackup system is installed on a Windows Server 2003 Standard edition 32bits with 4G of RAM.

I have some questions:

• Is it prefered to make the upgrade on a seperate server or it could be done on the same server?

I found on internet, while searching for a road map of the migration, the following steps:

• Building a new server with the same name, same IP address as the first one,
  • Install the same version (the old version, 7.0) on it,
  • Perform a hot catalog backup to disk from the old server, and restore it to the new one, then take it offline,
  • Upgrade the netbackup to 7.1

I would like to know now, if these steps are correct? if there's something missing?

And how to upgrade the media server and the clients?

And is there any patches that i have to install later?

regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
  • Is it prefered to make the upgrade on a seperate server or it could be done on the same server?

The migration to new server is only needed when you want a more powerful master server with 64-bit processor and possibly W2008 R2.

This is the TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

You will notice that the TN has been around since NBU 6.5 and that migration must be done using the exact same NBU version on old an new server.

PS: 4 GB ram for a master server is a bit low... We have been buying laptops with more memory for a couple of years now....

View solution in original post

Lotfi_BOUCHERIT
Level 5

Hello Sir. thanks for your reply,

I've found the steps of doing the migration on the same server too, and here they are:

• Full or offline backup of the catalog database
  • Test with the NBCC utility
  • Migrate with the 7.1 binaries

Don't know if you have any comments about those steps,

Regards!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

I suggest follow the steps that you posted, but its more easy if you do the migration on the same machine, but first run a Full or offline backup catalog and save the DR files in a save place, because you will need if anything goes wrong in the process.

Remeber, you will lost the job ID numbers, because netbackup starts counting again jobs ID after migration.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The migration to new server is only needed when you want a more powerful master server with 64-bit processor and possibly W2008 R2.

This is the TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

You will notice that the TN has been around since NBU 6.5 and that migration must be done using the exact same NBU version on old an new server.

PS: 4 GB ram for a master server is a bit low... We have been buying laptops with more memory for a couple of years now....

Lotfi_BOUCHERIT
Level 5

Hello Sir. thanks for your reply,

I've found the steps of doing the migration on the same server too, and here they are:

• Full or offline backup of the catalog database
  • Test with the NBCC utility
  • Migrate with the 7.1 binaries

Don't know if you have any comments about those steps,

Regards!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As it looks like NetBackup 7.6 will no longer support Windows 2003 then now seems like a good time to move to a new server on Windows 2008

Steps pertty much as you said but i would prefer to use tape for the hot catalog backup as the media is easier to locate when you come to do a catalog restore on the new server.

I would also suggest going straight to 7.5 (give you new server plenty of power - CPU and RAM) so that you are fully future proof - doesn't seem worth going to 7.1 - go straight to 7.5 then patch to 7.5.0.6

Hope this helps