cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new tapes to scratch pool

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.5.05

everytime i load a new cartridge, it goes to "netbackup" pool. so what happens is if one of my policies require a cartridge, it does an error 96 because there is none in "scratch" pool. i would have to remember to manual move the new cartridges to the "scratch" pool.

i checked in master server using "/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmpool -list_scratch" and it is set to "scratch". still new tape cartridges go to "netbackup".

how then to force new tape cartridges to go to "scratch" pool by default?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

On the Inventory Screen go to Advanced Options

In the lower section this relates to new media - the right hand one (Volume Pool) should be set to select your Scratch pool

That should then work for you.

Do note that some of these rules and setting as per user / per machine so if you run an inventory from a different admin console or while logged in as a different user you may need to change this setting again

An alternative is that once you have added new media during an inventory you just highlight it all, right click and select "Change" and then towards the bottom of the screen that comes up select the Volume Pool button, select the Scrathc Pool from the drop down list and click "OK" - all tape will then go to the scratch pool

You can move any tapes like this as long as they have not got a time assigned date against them (which means that they have already been used)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

quebek
   VIP    Certified

You need to create barcode rules... This will make sure all your new media are hitting the scrach pool...

to create one open the inventory window, check the Update volume configuration,

hit the advanced options button

select Barcode Rules tab

and create brand new rule for your self:

manatee
Level 6

but if i don't care about barcodes? like any tape cartridges as long as it's new must go to scratch pool.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

I am not aware of any other way...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO67698&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1378279973975

manatee
Level 6

i spoke too soon. i found there's a "New Media" section in advanced robot inventory/options/media settings. i think i should set the "Volume Pool" option to "Scratch"?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

On the Inventory Screen go to Advanced Options

In the lower section this relates to new media - the right hand one (Volume Pool) should be set to select your Scratch pool

That should then work for you.

Do note that some of these rules and setting as per user / per machine so if you run an inventory from a different admin console or while logged in as a different user you may need to change this setting again

An alternative is that once you have added new media during an inventory you just highlight it all, right click and select "Change" and then towards the bottom of the screen that comes up select the Volume Pool button, select the Scrathc Pool from the drop down list and click "OK" - all tape will then go to the scratch pool

You can move any tapes like this as long as they have not got a time assigned date against them (which means that they have already been used)

Hope this helps

manatee
Level 6

that's what i found a while ago and made "Scratch" as the default pool for new media.

the alternative way you mentioned is what i was doing before.