cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open oracle backup,archive and restore after upgrade veritas netbackup from ver 5.1 to 6.0mp4

_______o
Level 3
hello there.

i have a big problem after upgrad veritas netbackup from ver 5.1 to ver 6.0 and change it by new server (hardware), and made new instllation for veritas 6.0 mp4,  and copy old database and catalog to new server i can't found ( old and new )oracle database backup to restore it, but if i run new job it complete successflly .please help

thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
have you tried to do a catalog consistancy check to verify the catalog was moved without loosing any data.   Did you move both the media database and the volume database?

_______o
Level 3
Sorry i can't understand please more clarify about move both the media database and the volume database ,but i am sure i am moved all catalog and all Images database without losing any data, and when i am open images folder under c:\program files \veritas \netbackup\db\images i found a lot of files called as oracle database backup policy for example (Oracle_12895634_INCR & Oracle_1986553745_INCR.f) ,but i can't open restore oracle database ,do you think i am need to make import for catalog to see oracle restore?

Thanks.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
This forum topic may of interest:

...which ultimately links to:

...which states that not all Oracle RMAN options are available to NetBackup.

Message Edited by David Rawson on 07-23-200706:00 PM

_______o
Level 3
Dear David.

First.

thanks alot about your reply, but the first link is for Oracle based on solaris but i have oracle based on windows 2003.

Second.

my main problem is that i can't see the backup i had taken when i open backup,archive and restore for oracle database to restore it (from backup server or from Oracle server) i can't see the history or the new backup to restore it.

more clarification:

when i open backup,archive and restore i see on the right a blank screen and left icon called oracle can't expand it and up of screen balnk

Thanks.

sdo
Apologies, but I've just reread your initial description.  You say you copied a "v5.1 database" onto a "v6.0 environment". This will not work.  A database has to be upgraded in situ, i.e. you should have upgraded your v5.1 environment, not copied it.

_______o
Level 3
Dear David.

i am allready upgraded my backup server from veritas netbackup 5.1 to 6.0 and after that i move all database to new server (hardware)

sdo
I don't think that there's anything that you can do now.  Your only option is to import the old media, and/or contact Symantec Support for guidance.  This forum is a "user based" environment, i.e. it is not the official support avenue.

_______o
Level 3
Dear david.

thanks for your support, but if you have the steps to make import the old media.

Thanks.

Stumpr2
Level 6

( '' .)o wrote:
i am allready upgraded my backup server from veritas netbackup 5.1 to 6.0 and after that i move all database to new server (hardware)

Tell me more about "move" - how did you do them? From where and to where.
Please be specific.

Tell me more about "new server (hardware)" - Is there an old server still existing at 5.1?

sdo
The Sys Admin Guides Volume 1 and Volume 2 will cover the media import process.  It's a two stage process.  You can download the manuals for your particular O/S and NetBackup version here:

_______o
Level 3
Hi bob

i had old server veritas netbackup 5.1 based on windows 2000 server,i made upgrade for veritas to ver 6.0 and after this step i moved all catalog files and images to new server (copy and paste) on the same paths after new installation windows 2003 and veritas netbackup 6.0.

about old server it now working as veritas netbackup 6.0 after upgrade.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Did you keep the same name for the master server?

_______o
Level 3
HI BOB

my new server the same name as old server 

sdo
1) Where did you get this kind of upgrade "plan" from?
2) Is the new server in the same Windows A/D domain?
3) Which folder(s) did you copy?
4) Were all NetBackup services shutdown during the copy?
5) Are only the old Oracle backups missing, or are all backups missing from the restore GUI?

_______o
Level 3
dear david.

1- from internet
2-new server member server as old server
3-after upgrad old server to ver 6.0 and build new server i am copy all veritas folder to new hardware
4-i am shutdown all service during the copy
5- yes only oracle backup missing and all backups working well

sdo
Are you sure that my previous post is inappropriate?

This forum topic may of interest:

...which ultimately links to:

...which states that not all Oracle RMAN options are available to NetBackup.

The "feature" of the NetBackup "Backup, Archive and Restore GUI" not being able to view all Oracle backup types is not limited to any particular version or platform.  It is a general feature that some types of Oracle RMAN backups are not visible to NetBackup, no matter what version of NetBackup or host operating system.  Please can you explain why you think the links above are irrelevant?