cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open text file which was backed up via netbackup

elahe89
Level 3

Hi ,

Sorry if my question is very naive! but I'm a newbie and I need some help.

I've backup a text file from a directory in one of my Linux machines via NetBackup, each backed up file is saved as two .img and .info files in a media server. How may I open my backed-up files in their original format? (.txt in this case)

on the other hand, I need to automate this task, If I want to be more clear about my scenario, I've to say that I have a script that I use to backup my Oracle database, in this script a log file generates which logs the RMAN acticitiy in /tmp directory. I want this log to be back up each time the policy calls the related script.

I hope I could elaborate enough on my problem.

Thank you so much  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @elahe89 

"no world champ has ever dropped from the sky"  :)

Image files at the media server, is not intended to be opened  and edited while being "data at rest". The image file includes data itself but also the file system metadata like permissions share right or/or ACL's. If the data is backup of a databases, data in the images files are a bit stream and not regular files.

Netbackup uses a modified version of tar (nbtar) to store data on both disk and tape drives.

If you need the data, is better (and supported) to be conduction a re-directed restore using the bprestore command.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/123533878-127136857-0/v123543657-127136857

and it's recommended to know altnames as well. altnames is used to provide restore right for clients.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v41612926-126559472

Best Regards
Nicolai

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @elahe89 

RMAN will not backup its own activity file, so you can run bpbackup command from your script to capture the text files, or you schedule a regular policy to backup text files in /tmp with regular interval.

You will need a "schedule" of type "user backup" in policy to initiate the bpbackup command.

/Nicolai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @elahe89 

"no world champ has ever dropped from the sky"  :)

Image files at the media server, is not intended to be opened  and edited while being "data at rest". The image file includes data itself but also the file system metadata like permissions share right or/or ACL's. If the data is backup of a databases, data in the images files are a bit stream and not regular files.

Netbackup uses a modified version of tar (nbtar) to store data on both disk and tape drives.

If you need the data, is better (and supported) to be conduction a re-directed restore using the bprestore command.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/123533878-127136857-0/v123543657-127136857

and it's recommended to know altnames as well. altnames is used to provide restore right for clients.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v41612926-126559472

Best Regards
Nicolai

Hi @Nicolai 

Thank you so much for your complete answer, 

and is there any chance you could give me a hint about the automating backup of my RMAN's log file?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @elahe89 

RMAN will not backup its own activity file, so you can run bpbackup command from your script to capture the text files, or you schedule a regular policy to backup text files in /tmp with regular interval.

You will need a "schedule" of type "user backup" in policy to initiate the bpbackup command.

/Nicolai

Hi @Nicolai 

I tested bpbackup and it worked, thanks a lot for your help. but there is a thing between.

1- I need to backup a .log file and I need this to backup by its original format. how can I backup it up "file-based"? 

2 - Is it possible for Netbackup not to change the original file's name and keep it while it back it up?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

hi @elahe89 

I thought I understood you question, but I am not so sure anymore.

1: Netbackup will backup and restore files as they are at time of backup. Netbackup never changes the format of a file. Please clarify what you mean with "file based". Is this .log file a text file or output from RMAN ?

2: Netbackup doesn't change file names - ever.

Please help me understand what problems you are facing. What problem are you trying to solve ?