cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oracle Stream-based operations vs Oracle file-based operations with snapshot client vs run netbackup command(N:\oracle\scripts\db_full_backup.cmd)

cc83
Level 2

Hi

I am new to Netbackup software.  I have read the "Symantec NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide"

Q1) When i run this script N:\oracle\scripts\db_full_backup.cmd, is it oracle Stream-based operations backup or Oracle file-based operations with snapshot client?

Q2) The pro of running Oracle stream-based operations is that Rman will only backup the blocks that are used for example if the data file is 32 GB but 10 GB is used. Rman will only backup 10 GB .  Correct me if i am wrong.

Q3) The pro of Oracle file-based operations with snapshot client, the netbackup media server will directly backup the data file to the tape drive instead of waiting for rman to send the data.  COrrect me if i am wrong.

If you all have something to add on for example pro or con, please do so.  Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Q1) When i run this script N:\oracle\scripts\db_full_backup.cmd, is it oracle Stream-based operations backup or Oracle file-based operations with snapshot client?

A1) You would need to select snapshot backups in the policy and have backup proxy in script for it to be a file based backup

Q2) The pro of running Oracle stream-based operations is that Rman will only backup the blocks that are used for example if the data file is 32 GB but 10 GB is used. Rman will only backup 10 GB .  Correct me if i am wrong.

A2)  It is possible to do incrementals with both stream and file based backups

Q3) The pro of Oracle file-based operations with snapshot client, the netbackup media server will directly backup the data file to the tape drive instead of waiting for rman to send the data.  COrrect me if i am wrong.

A3) The RMAN backup proxy command initiates a proxy copy backup of the specified objects. RMAN translates the objects into the physical file names and provides a list of file names to NetBackup for Oracle. These files are then sent to the media server. If you configure and offhost/alternate client type backup then the media server could backup the files directly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

A1) You would need to select snapshot backups in the policy and have backup proxy in script for it to be a file based backup

A2)  It is possible to do incrementals with both stream and file based backups

A3) The RMAN backup proxy command initiates a proxy copy backup of the specified objects. RMAN translates the objects into the physical file names and provides a list of file names to NetBackup for Oracle. These files are then sent to the media server. If you configure and offhost/alternate client type backup then the media server could backup the files directly

cc83
Level 2

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

For Q2) if i perform full backup, can both stream and file based backups know which blocks are used and back up those blocks only?  for example if the data file is 32 GB but 10 GB is used. Only 10 GB will be backup

For Q3), Can i check with you whether snapshot client backup is for stream or file-based?

RiaanBadenhorst

For Q2) if i perform full backup, can both stream and file based backups know which blocks are used and back up those blocks only?  for example if the data file is 32 GB but 10 GB is used. Only 10 GB will be backup

A2) Yes but if you want to use file you'll need to have VxFS and run Block level incremental backups using snapshot client backup. Or you can use a combination of file (for incremental level 0) and stream (for incremental 1-n)

For Q3), Can i check with you whether snapshot client backup is for stream or file-based?

A3) If the script executed has 'proxy backup' instead of 'backup' then its file based.

Marianne
Level 6

It seems that Riaan has answered all your questions.

For the sake of completeness, you need to read through the following docs:

NetBackup 7 Snapshot Client Compatibility List: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126901 

NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide 

The Snapshot Client section in NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide