cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with jnbSA post MP5 upgrade

jdb1
Level 3
Hello,

We recently upgraded a master/media server from 6.0 MP4 to MP5.  The server is SUSE 9 SP3.  We installed updates for NDMP, Java, CLT and the server.  After the update, the local onsite administrator is having problems accessing the console using jnbSA.  He is using the same x11 software (hummingbird xceed) and is logging in and exporting his display back to his desktop using a static ip.  When he initiates the ./jnbSA command, it will hang but not before a small window flashes for a split second.  We tried it with is firewall turned off.  He is able to export xclock so I'm pretty sure its not a network issue.

The weird thing is I cannot replicate the problem and I'm going over a VPN.  I compared the env output for him and myself and they are pretty much the same.  I took at the logs generated on /nbjlogs but they didn't provide much insight.

Has anyone experienced this problem?  Def appreciate any feedback.  TIA.  John
11 REPLIES 11

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

We recently upgraded a master/media server from 6.0 MP4 to MP5.  The server is SUSE 9 SP3.  We installed updates for NDMP, Java, CLT and the server.  After the update, the local onsite administrator is having problems accessing the console using jnbSA.  He is using the same x11 software (hummingbird xceed) and is logging in and exporting his display back to his desktop using a static ip.  When he initiates the ./jnbSA command, it will hang but not before a small window flashes for a split second.  We tried it with is firewall turned off.  He is able to export xclock so I'm pretty sure its not a network issue.

Looks a lot like what I see (although I've seen it on all versions of 6.0, and I'm only at MP4).

On one of the servers I use, I access it with a stripped down window manager in a VNC window, while one of the other admins has two nice big screens.

Whenever he launches jnbSA, he moves the windows over to the second (right-hand) monitor.  Then the next time I use it, it tries to place the windows in the same place.  I thought it was hanging and not displaying anything for weeks until I realized it was just placing the window all the way on the right side, so only about a pixel of it is showing.  Now that I know what to look for, I can always find it.  This happens both on the login box and on the main admin screen that comes up afterward.

When I'm using TWM, it gives me a placement grid on the screen.  Even when I place it in the middle of the screen, it pops right, "disappearing" immediately afterward.

You may have a similar issue.

--
Darren

jdb1
Level 3
Darren - Thanks for the feedback.  Thats exactly what the problem was.  I work with 2 monitors here and the local admin works with one.  He tried to login from home where he has a bigger monitor last night and he was able to see the login screen on the edge of his monitor.  I can't believe I spent so much time troubleshooting something so simple.  Thanks again.

jdb1
Level 3
I forgot to add in my previous post that we were also having problems accessing the console using the java client.  We had it patched to meet the MP level of the master server.  But when logging in, we would only have limited functionality.  We played around with this and finally came up with a what appears to be the soluion.  Logging in using the fully qualified domain name for the master/media server will get you full functionalitly while logging in using the short name or IP will only get you some of the functionalitly of the console.  I'm really not sure why this would happen and if anybody knows, I would be very interested in finding out.

Thanks.   John

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
That one I haven't seen... 

What do you mean by limited functionality?  Are there just items missing from the left-hand panel, or do certain operations fail or something?

--
Darren

Stumpr2
Level 6

jdb1 wrote:
Darren - Thanks for the feedback.  Thats exactly what the problem was.  I work with 2 monitors here and the local admin works with one.  He tried to login from home where he has a bigger monitor last night and he was able to see the login screen on the edge of his monitor.  I can't believe I spent so much time troubleshooting something so simple.  Thanks again.

How do you get it where it is supposed to be if you can't see it? Is there more than one way to move it?

jdb1
Level 3
Darren-

When you opened the console, you are able to see everything but if you clicked media for example, it would just hang.  It almost seemed like a problem with the media server but being that our master/media server are on one box, that didn't make sense.  Backups would run and everything would function normally, except the console.  I still don't know why using the fully qualified domain name for the server on the login screen fixes this problem. 

jdb1
Level 3
Bob -

If he couldn't see the login screen, I think he could have looked at his task bar and made the login screen occupy his work space by selecting window 1.  I have not had him try it, but that should work.

John

Stumpr2
Level 6

jdb1 wrote:
Bob -
If he couldn't see the login screen, I think he could have looked at his task bar and made the login screen occupy his work space by selecting window 1.  I have not had him try it, but that should work.
John

I have this problem sometimes when I disconnect the laptop from my laptop docking station which has a nice big monitor hooked to it. My work around is to select all of the applications that usually popup on screen 2 and bring them up and shift them to screen 1 and then exit out of them prior to removing the laptop. Which is another waste of time.
Is there maybe a cinfiguration file that I could use to select which screen an application pops up on so that I can just make the changes there and not have to bring the app up and down?
.......OK, so maybe I'm a little bit windows challenged Smiley Sad

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@Stumpr wrote:

How do you get it where it is supposed to be if you can't see it? Is there more than one way to move it?

In my window manager it's not 100% off the screen, just so much that it wan't obvious to me the first dozen or so times I tried to run it! :)  If you look closely, there's a pixel or two of the title bar on the right edge of the screen.  (I think the window manager forces it to be on screen to some extent). 

So it's present enough to move back onto the screen, but it's very easy to overlook.  I don't know if this is specific to my window manager or what.

--
Darren

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Right-click on the Task in the taskbar, select "Move," and you should be able to use the arrow keys to bring it back onto the part of the screen you can see.  (On my XP desktop, the mouse will work as well BUT ONLY after I hit an arrow key first!)

This is documented in TechNote 296610:

DOCUMENTATION: After starting Windows or Java Admin Console on a Windows desktop, the "NetBackup" tasks appear in the toolbar, but the windows are not seen on screen.

Regarding the FQDN vs. unqualified hostname in the console login, I've seen that same situation in the past and usually it means that the master's hostname is fully qualified (in the bp.conf or SERVER list depending on O/S) and somehow, DNS isn't properly matching the unqualified name to the FQDN name.  Obviously, the FQDN is always gonna match to itself, so that will always work.  Sometimes this gets manifested by the jbpSA (or Backup/Archive/Restore) GUI showing up when you're expecting the jnbSA one, for instance.  Sometimes people put the fully qualified name in for the master, but then the unqualified name sneaks into the environment when IT gets used as the client name.

Stumpr2
Level 6
The arrows!...yes that should move it. Thanks.