cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

query..plz answer

Pinku
Level 5

i have one more question regd my set up..

we do not have disk storage unit in the datacenter where we are setting up exchange 2010 sp1 hosted servers.....i will be takin backups on tape directly....would it be possible if i want to restore mailboxes from tape. that means will GRT be supported be tape??

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need disk backups for GRT - Basic or Advanced.

The reason for that is that the disk backup must be network-mounted to a drive letter on the Exchange Server so that individual items can be accessed.

Full details in the Exchange Server Administrator's Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127056

Also have a look at this post under Featured discussions at the top of the NBU forum page:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/introducing-netbackup-screencast-demonstration-video-series-netbackup-agent-microsoft-exchang

Pinku
Level 5

so that means....we'll have to go for disk based bakups only.....

now i m stuck...let me brief my environment:

master servr-solaris10 (will be upgraded to 7.0.1), library - L180 storage tek, lto4 drives attached

no media server, master will act as media

Ten exchange 2010 sp1 DAG boxes where 2 servers hosting exchange database.

Now i want to take backup of these exchange servers and ensure the mailbox level restores.

my library is at a quite distance from the exchange databse boxes. so we have to take backup over the wan...but now as we  to go for disk based backups only.....because GRT supports only on disk.

wht can be done now??

pls provide some solutons...

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You don't need disk backups only - you can provide disk space to hold 2 - 3 full backups and let it stage to tape. If you need to restore from an older backup that is no longer on disk, you can duplicate it back to disk and promote the disk image to primary.

Pinku
Level 5

that will be a tedious task......

ok if i am taking mailbox backups on disk.....

for exchange database backup...can i put them on tape directly or i'll have to backup that via disk only...

Rohit_Singh_Nay
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

While reading that forum a question arises in my mind if I have to restore only one mail box from my Backup and that backup is not on disk it is now reside on tape then in that situation granular  restore is possible or not or else I have to restore the whole data base.

Thanks

ROHIT