cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Error in VxBSACreateObject: 3" backing up SQL Server 2005 in NetBackup 6.5

s_greer
Not applicable

I've never seen it before, but for the past two days, my backup has generated this error on the same database in the midst of a batch of 29 full database backups.  All backups before and after this one have completed successfully.  DBCC checkdb() returns no errors in the database, and I can back it up successfully with SQL Server native backup.  I've seen a few references to similar errors in this forum and elsewhere, but nothing really seems to fit --- particularly, why would a failure in networki name resolution or the Volume Shadow Copy service only affect this one job in the batch?  Any suggestions?

The environment is SQL Server 2005 SP3 running on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

From the NetBackup client:

ERR - Error in VxBSACreateObject: 3.

CONTINUATION: - System detected error, operation aborted.

ERR - Error in GetCommand: 0x80770004.

From the Windows Application Event Log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SQLVDI
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date:  11/3/2010
Time:  4:23:16 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: BMKC1SVSQL1
Description:
SQLVDI: Loc=TriggerAbort. Desc=invoked. ErrorCode=(0). Process=2688. Thread=5740. Server. Instance=MSSQLSERVER. VD=Global\VNBU0-7024-6436-1288775750_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 18210
Date:  11/3/2010
Time:  4:23:16 AM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: BMKC1SVSQL1
Description:
BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'VNBU0-7024-6436-1288775750'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We need to see dbclient log, please.

If the log dir does not exist on client, please create it. Post the log next time the error is seen.

I suspect NBU Client Read timeout, but I need to see evidence in dbclient log.