cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove a backup client completely

FlyMountain
Level 6

I did see some decommissioned clients still show up on "host properties" as clients. what are the full steps we should follow up to completely decommission a client with less system impacts.

We usually do:

1. run a last full backup if we can catch a moment.

2. remove it from backup policyes.

Should we also do:

1. remove NBU software if the client still alive?

2. remove it from any NBU configuration files?

3. restart  any NBU services?

4. what should we prepare on this time in case for a furture restore if we have to?

thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

if the client is showing up in hostproperties , that indicatates the client is added atleast one policy (also deactivated policy)

bpplclients | grep -i <clients> will help you if that is there in the policy or not.

if that is there, you just need to find and delete it.

what you are doing is fine..

if the client is also added with bpclient command ,at the time of config or later. 

you can also delete from there also at the time of decomm

bpclient -delete <clientname>

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

if the client is showing up in hostproperties , that indicatates the client is added atleast one policy (also deactivated policy)

bpplclients | grep -i <clients> will help you if that is there in the policy or not.

if that is there, you just need to find and delete it.

what you are doing is fine..

if the client is also added with bpclient command ,at the time of config or later. 

you can also delete from there also at the time of decomm

bpclient -delete <clientname>

Stumpr2
Level 6

Should we also do:

1. remove NBU software if the client still alive? - not necessary to remove and you willneed the NetBackup software on the client if you have some need to restore from last full backup

2. remove it from any NBU configuration files?- I like to remove the client from the master server properties for client attributes - But all that is necessary is to remove client from any active/deactive policy it may be in

3. restart any NBU services?- No services need to be restarted

4. what should we prepare on this time in case for a furture restore if we have to?- I suggest changing the retention of the last full backup to the longest retention used in your environment.