cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore from an imaged that was backuped in an old device

fshguo
Level 3
Hello...we are in the process of upgrading an old tape  library to new one, we found that the images that were backuped under the old devices can not be restored from the new tape devices, the error message is:  could not find the resource, error code (800).

the old tape library is: Quantum PX500, HP tape device  LTO3
the new tape libray is: Quantum i500, IBM  tape device. LTO4

what could be the reason? how can we avoid not to import all the old tapes' images?

Thanks,
fshguo.

3 REPLIES 3

CY
Level 6
Certified
Hi, fshguo

Do you have the new LTO-4 drives defined as drive type hcart3, while the old LTO-3 drives were defined as drive type hcart2?  If so, you need to change some new LTO-4 drives' drive type to hcart2 so you can restore old backups through these "hcart2" drives.  You don't need to change all LOT-4 drives, just allocate 1 ~ 2 drives fore restore purpose.

Yes I know that hardware-wise LTO-4 is backward compatatible with LTO-3, but unfortunaltey NetBakcup need to see the same drive type (as the drive type when backup ran) for restoring from old tapes.

fshguo
Level 3
Good to know CY, but then how can I avoid the drive that to be downgrated to Hcart2 not to be picked up from the new backup jobs, because I would like the new backup images to be stored under the new format (Hcart3). 

Also, if the old and new devices were both LTO4, even thought there are from different vendors, they should not cause this problem, right?

Thanks,
fshguo.

CY
Level 6
Certified
Just to make sure your new backup media are all defined as HCART3.  You can do so with a new bar code rule so all new tapes are defined as HCART3 tape when they are inventoried in the robot.  NetBackup would never put a HCART3 tape in a HCART2 tape device.  :)

For example, before we have technology refresh (upgrade from LTO-2 to LTO-3), we had meeting to determine the new barcode naming convention for LTO-3 (to avoid human error, get it ? ;-)).  Then I just set up a new barcode rule in NBU that all tapes starting with L3#### are LTO-3 tapes (while L2 are LTO-2, etc.)

LTO is an industrial standard, and so yes different vendor should follow the standard and their products be compatible with each other.  But just in case - check with your library vendor - they should know better about the hardware they sell.  :)