cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scratch pool

hizang
Level 2
can anybody who using nbu 5.1 or 6.x tell me if I manually move a expired tape from scratch pool to another pool, let's say missing tape pool, with the return_to_scratch_pool function set to "yes", will the tape be automatically moved back to scratch pool later?

thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
From the following excerpt from "Media Manager System Admin Guide for Netbackup 5.1"

"....

Return Media to the Scratch Pool

RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL = YES|NO
This entry is read and interpreted on hosts where vmd is running.

If RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL = YES is specified or if no entry is specified in vm.conf, Media Manager returns expired and unassigned media (media that was originally from the same scratch pool) to the scratch volume pool automatically.

If RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL = NO is specified, the automatic behavior of returning media to the scratch pool is disabled and must be done using one of the Media Manager administration interfaces.

...."

I would say that the answer to your question would be (or should be) YES, but it should be easy enough to test.

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
No.  Because when NetBackup allocates the tape, it's not coming from the Scratch pool at all.  So when it expires, it can't return there.

It will remain in the pool that you've assigned.

Message Edited by Darren Dunham on 05-23-2008 10:07 AM

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@Darren Dunham wrote:
No.  Because when NetBackup allocates the tape, it's not coming from the Scratch pool at all.  So when it expires, it can't return there.

It will remain in the pool that you've assigned.

Message Edited by Darren Dunham on 05-23-2008 10:07 AM

Cheers Darren. I think I was in weekend-mode a little early. Smiley Surprised