cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup new media server on windows 2008 server r2 enterprise

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Hello. I just installed a new Master server on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, which will soon be controlling multiple media servers (each campus will have media server). The goal is for these media servers to run deduplication, then kick out the images to tape for long term storage. Media server is on same operating system. Both have service pack 1 installed, UAC off.

The two machines I'm trying to connect are on the same internal subnet, so it's not going through DNS. I edited the windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file to include hostname and IP of both machines (on both master / media server).

I installed the media server software and .0.4 patch. (patch is on Master as well). Master has been installed, but nothing has been configured. As this machine will only be controlling when each media server backs up (via SLP), no storage will be presented. According to the admin guide II for windows, I am going to be installing a "protected domain".

On Master, in master server properties -> Servers -> media servers, I added this media server via name. If outside access / DNS is not involved, I'm not going through company firewall, what else am I missing on getting these two to talk? I try to add media server under host properties, and I get cant connect to socket error. If media server is labeled in servers tab above, should it already be showing up under Host Properties -> Media Servers?

As these media servers will be running deduplication, is it best to not go this route, and instead use the initial NB wizard to "configure disk storage servers"? Will this accomplish what I hope to accomplish?

Any guidance or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
First of all, check following points to configure media setvers correctly: * Check if port 1556 is opened on Windows Firewall or some sort of firewall deployed on the host pr network. * Check if name of all the servers can be resolved on each host. * Master server and all media severs are added in server list on each servers. Chech this through master server properties -> servers for master server. For media servers, check registry value (HKLM¥software¥veritas¥NetBackup¥CurrentVersion¥Config¥Servers). If some of servers are not present, add them pn all yher servers. If you have some difficulty to editong registry on media servers, uninstall server software and reinstall it specifying master server and additional servers correctly. After the servers can communicate with each other, configure MSDP using "Configure disk storage servers" wizard.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Windows Firewall is by default enabled on W2008.

Disable it on your master and media servers.

If you have functional Active Directory and DNS in your company, why not use it? 
Having to add hosts entries for all clients on all servers and on all clients for the servers becomes messy and a headache to maintain.

Your media servers will show up under Host Properties -> Media Servers once Storage Units have been configured.
You need to ensure successful connectivity between master and media servers before you attempt Disk Storage wizard.
Successful connectivity means forward and reverse name lookup as well as port connectivity (1556).

It is always best to restart Master services once you have added Servers to Host Properties.

You can also verify comms by issuing this command from cmd:

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
(command is in <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

Media server OS, NBU capabilities, EMM hostname, etc should be returned.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
First of all, check following points to configure media setvers correctly: * Check if port 1556 is opened on Windows Firewall or some sort of firewall deployed on the host pr network. * Check if name of all the servers can be resolved on each host. * Master server and all media severs are added in server list on each servers. Chech this through master server properties -> servers for master server. For media servers, check registry value (HKLM¥software¥veritas¥NetBackup¥CurrentVersion¥Config¥Servers). If some of servers are not present, add them pn all yher servers. If you have some difficulty to editong registry on media servers, uninstall server software and reinstall it specifying master server and additional servers correctly. After the servers can communicate with each other, configure MSDP using "Configure disk storage servers" wizard.

ashish_patil01
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes Please ensure that while installing the media server software you specifed the name of the master server so that the media server knows which master server it has to report to.

Also check on master server if you can see the media servers listed after running nbemmcmd -listhosts.

Or else you can add them manaully to the EMM using nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename -machinetype -masterserver -operatingsystem -netbackupversion.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

"!Or else you can add them manaully to the EMM using nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename -machinetype -masterserver -operatingsystem -netbackupversion."

This, I am afraid is a 100% waste of time.

If the master and media are configured correctly, then you restart the service on the media and it will automatically add itself to the EMM DB, and you will see it appear in nbemmcmd -listhosts

If this does not happen, yes, you can add it manually (it will appear in the emm command) but it will not work, as whatever causess it to fail to add automatically, will cause it not to work.

So, there is no point in this command.

So, providing there is communication between the two (use bptestbpcd -host <media name> to check), the names fully resolve , the master has a SERVER entry for the media, and the media has a SERVER entry for the master, and, an EMMSERVER entry, then it should work.

Martin

lovethatcheese
Level 5

I will try these when I am back at work.

As for running deduplication on media servers..should storage be presented to media server before adding into master / restarting service on media?

in my previous config, we presented basic disk to NB via iscsi initiator, and it worked fine, in basic disk environment. can i do the same, and NB will 'format' the drive accordingly? I know it needs to be advanced disk for dedup, just wasnt sure if that was a NB option or something I need to tackle via iscsi initiator.

just for clarity as well - on the actual media server i should configure the storage / tape drive (via admin console), not on the master server console in defining the media server, if that makes sense? Or, as long as the media is configured correctly and they are talking, the features of the media server (storage / drives) should translate to the master as well? I'm new to a windows master and windows server, and i've been reading the admin guides like crazy, just have some grey area for sure. I really appreciate the help!