cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strategy to replace library

sru
Level 3

Hello,
I like to replace our 10 year old library with a new one and would like to hear your thoughts about the below strategy.

Tasks i see

• Make new hardware available to netbackup.
  • Find a way to redirect all what currently goes to the old library to the new one.
  • Old drive is LTO3, new is LTO6 so the images on some tapes must be duplicated.
  • Our license is for 1 drive only so we kindly got an eval license (25 days left).

What i have

Name Residence Pool Retention LVL
Policies
EXCH_SVR1_AR Datastore NetBackup 10 (57 days)
FILE_SVR1_AR Datastore NetBackup 10 (57 days)
FILE_SVR2_AR Datastore NetBackup 10 (57 days)
FILE_SVR3_AR Datastore NetBackup 10 (57 days)
FILE_SVR4_AR Datastore NetBackup 10 (57 days)
FILE_LSRV_AR Datastore NetBackup 10 (57 days)

EXCH_SVR1_HYear LibSrv-hcart3-robot-tld-0 HalfYear HalfYear 9 (Infinity)
FILE_WIND_HYear LibSrv-hcart3-robot-tld-0 HalfYear HalfYear 9 (Infinity)
FILE_LINU_HYear LibSrv-hcart3-robot-tld-0 HalfYear HalfYear 9 (Infinity)
FILE_EDAI_MANUAL LibSrv-hcart3-robot-tld-0 HalfYear Edainst 9 (Infinity)
Collective_MANUAL LibSrv-hcart3-robot-tld-0 HalfYear Collective 9 (Infinity)

Online_Hot_Catalog_Backup_Policy --- CatalogBackup 2 (3 weeks)

Name Comment
Pools
None the None pool
NetBackup the NetBackup pool
DataStore the DataStore pool # d2t staging
CatalogBackup NetBackup Catalog Backup pool # tape
EdaInst Holds Edai Backups # tape
Collective various 'archives' # tape
HYear Backs up to tape half a year #tape
Scratch Holds New & Expired Tapes

What i already did

1. Created new Barcode Rule for Cleaning Tapes (as the new library does not hide them from the software)
  2. Created new Bardode Rule for the new  Badge of LTO6 Tapes to go to Scratch pool, type: HCART (as old Tapes were HCART3)
  3. Created new robot TLD1 (functional: can be inventorized)
  4. Created new drive; type: HCART (as old Tapes were HCART3; still waiting for tapes to be delivered)
  5. Created new storage unit with modified density HCART and robot number (not sure why i need it, just duplicated what existed)

What i think i should do

• Assign two LTO6 Tapes to CatalogBackup Pool, stick one of them into the new library and hope it will be used. Swap next week.
  • Change the staging schedule's final destination to the new robot so that datastore pool stages to that.
  • Change all non-datastore policies from above to use LibSrv-hcart-robot-tld-1 instead of LibSrv-hcart3-robot-tld-0
  • duplicate all images on tapes with retention level 9 (Infinity) to a minimum of LTO 6 tapes, process below:

NBU will only append to an existing tape if the retention level is the same (fullfilled).
  When you specify destination to duplicate to, you can only specify the storage unit and pool.
  So, if there are other tapes with space left that fit all criteria, NBU may choose a different tape.
  This means that you will have to ensure that the tape you want to duplicate to is the only possible choice.

Therefore:

• Assign two tapes to the 'Collective' pool.
  • Remove *all* tapes from new library except one of these two tapes.
  • Remove *all* tapes from old library but the source tape. Suspend the source tape.
  • Duplicate the images.
  • Cool, you are still here wink

Any hints would be welcome...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't know what this is about

Therefore:

• Remove *all* tapes from old library but the source tape. Suspend the source tape.
  • Duplicate the images.
  • Cool, you are still here wink

Your steps seem fine. Since you seem to have only 1 LTO3 you need not worry to much about tape wastage. As long as what you're duplicating is the same retention it would go on to 1 media until its full.

Also, for your catalog backup, you didn't note to also change the storage unit to LTO6 drives.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't know what this is about

Therefore:

• Duplicate the images.
  • Cool, you are still here wink

Your steps seem fine. Since you seem to have only 1 LTO3 you need not worry to much about tape wastage. As long as what you're duplicating is the same retention it would go on to 1 media until its full.

Also, for your catalog backup, you didn't note to also change the storage unit to LTO6 drives.

sru
Level 3

Riaan,

Thanks for the hint, i rechecked that.

It is configured to "All available" in my case, so it was perfectly working that night with pulling tapes from the new robot.