cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the drive is not active r not operable

Venkatesh_K
Level 5
hi everyone

im venkatesh im very much new to veritas,im remotely assisting backup for clients from india. i dont physicaly involve with servers n tape drives etc (im working remotely from india)

im handling few servers n when i check with device moniter in veritas netbackup console for one of client i see the devices r down so i tried to make the drivers up but when i tried to do that i recive an error stating that
"THE DRIVERS R NOT ACTIVE OR INOPERABLE"

any suggetions wt shell i go with....
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
I also am very much interested in this problem. I only see this problem on windoes servers. When I see it, I end up reloading device drivers and rebooting the server.

I have noticed that it happens less frequently if you regularly reboot the servers.

Venkatesh_K
Level 5
thanks bob for the solution since im doing my work remotely i think i cant reload the tapes n restart the servers
i think i wil have to inform to the team who is phisycally working with the servers

i think that may b one of the option if there r any more option plz let me know them

thank u....

T_N
Level 6
1) you need to check if drive is online or offline( ask operator go to check) or you you can check by ACSLS if you use it.
2) you need to check if tape drive serial number (from netbackup site), it should match with tape serial number (from library)
3) Check port wide name on SAN
4) if everything is working fine but your drive is not working well, you need to reconfigure tape drive.

DavidParker
Level 6
It's probably simpler than this, Tom.

Check the Device Manage in Windows itself to see if Windows still sees the drives.
I've seen this issue before, especially in a setup that uses extra hardware (specifically a Crossroads device).

Sometimes Windows likes to just lose its devices.

Definitely do what Bob said: reboot the Windows machine.

T_N
Level 6
opps one thing I don't mention, it's unix steps, if it's windows, just reboot box