Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

troubleshooting vmware backups

gkman
Level 5

Hello,

Newbie me again with some more basic questions

I keep getting error status 84 on certain virtual machines (vmware), and I don't know how to troubleshoot.

I know that client saves logs, and I can troubleshoot the error from them, But the clients are VM's and don't have client agents installed on them.

I found this article: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041197.  the master server logs don't show anything for the failing client, and I couldn't understand what is a vmware backup host. I figured it can't be the esxi servers since they don't have path's that start with "c:\program files..."

how do I go about troubleshooting VM machines backup fail? (vmware and hyper-v)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gkman
Level 5

OK, took me long enough but this: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH215756.html was the solution.

I bypassed the password policy simply by logging into maintainence mode (elevated), and using the smbpasswd to reset the admin password.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

first, if you have NBU 7.6 or higher, take advantage of Logging Assistant (last container in NBU console). Create a new record and refer to job ID of failed job. The tools activates and then gathers required logs.

Generally, VMware related troubleshooting is usually logged on "VMware backup host". This is usually one of your Media Servers. You can determine this server in Policy Attributes, VMware Tab.

But, error 84 is usually related related rather to backup storage (tape, disk, dedup storage etc.), not VMware side.

Regards

Marianne
Level 6

Status 84 is Media Write error. Nothing to do with client-side of the backup.

This happens when an I/O error occurs on the media server while writing to the backup storage (disk or tape).

Create bptm log folder under ..netbackup\logs.

Next time you see status 84, look in the log file for more info.
Device-related errors may also be logged in Event Viewer logs on the media server.

If you are performing backups over SAN, double-check that datastores and backup devices are not zoned to the same HBA on the media server.

gkman
Level 5

Thanks for the quick reply.

Our media server is a Netbackup appliance, and it is also the vmware backup host. Where would the logs be in this case?

Marianne
Level 6

In /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm folder on the Appliance.

Why did you select Windows as OS?

gkman
Level 5

well it doesnt really state who's operating system to put in..

the vm guest OS and the master are both windows.

Marianne
Level 6

Point taken.

You may want to have a good look at the NetBackup Process flow diagram.

The 1st step in Troubleshooting is to understand where the failure occurred - Master, media server or client.

You will notice in Job Details that bptm process is reporting status 84.
bptm runs on a media server.

Here is a generic Process Flow diagram: NetBackup 7.x Process Flow 

There are more detailed diagrams in relevant NBU version manuals and  Nuts and bolts in NetBackup for Vmware series.

gkman
Level 5

thank very much, I will certainly take a look.

just one last question, How do I access the logs? logging to the appliance via ssh, I get a menu interface and can't navigate to the logs. 

I would like if possible to access the logs in a way that can be copied to a window computer for viewing (via ftp for example - which I tried and failed)

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

To access the appliance logs from a Windows host then on the Appliance:

/ Support / Logs / Share Open

....then on a Windows host:

> net use L: \\appliance-name\logs /user:appliance-name\admin

...and enter the password when prompted.

gkman
Level 5

for some reason it keeps telling me that username or password are incorrect.

Marianne
Level 6
When you login via ssh, do you use hostname (appliance-name) or IP address? Use same method when mapping the logs.

gkman
Level 5

I use the host name, and I do exactly the same when mapping the logs. (in fact when using "share open" the appliance prints on screen the path I am using)

I also tried using the IP address for mapping but then I got an error massage stating the path is not available.

Marianne
Level 6
Please show use the exact 'net use' command you are using. Please also check if Windows firewall and/or AV software is preventing network maps. It happens to me when I try to access a network share that is not on the same domain. I need to temporarily disable Windows firewall to map network share.

gkman
Level 5

I used the exact command that sdo posted and even tried windows 'map network drive' wizard. 

firewalls are all disabled, and using netstat command I could see that a connection to the appliance was established successfully on port 445.

The error I recieve is that "the specified network password is incorrect"- but I know for a fact that I am using the correct password (its the same user and password I am using to log in with ssh).

I also tried closing the share and re-opening it with no success.

Marianne
Level 6

It worked for me.

Our demo Appliance is called appmaster.

appmaster.Logs> Share open
- [Info] The CIFS share \\appmaster\logs and the NFS share appmaster:/log have been opened on this appliance.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use X: \\appmaster\logs /user:appmaster\admin

Enter the password for 'appmaster\admin' to connect to 'appmaster':
The command completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>X:

X:\>dir

bptm logs over here:  X:\NBU\netbackup\bptm

sdo

1) If it still doesn't work then please show us the "net use" command you are using.

2) If it still doesn't work then please show us what the appliance says immediately after you issue the "Share Open" command at the appliance CLIsh.

sdo

What username are you logging in with?

The CIFS/SMB "share" for the logs is not exposed to any account other than admin - i.e. you must use the admin username, so something like:

/user:myappliancename\admin

...or, use the IP of the main NetBackup interface of the appliance (i.e. not the IPMI address):

/user:x.x.x.x\admin

...on the "net use" statement.  You cannot use any other account.

gkman
Level 5

1)  net use L: \\media-app\logs /user:media-app\admin

after I enter the password I get error 86

2) 

media-app.Logs> Share Open
name:media-app:
- [Info] The CIFS share \\media-app\logs and the NFS share media-app:/log have been opened on this appliance.

would joining the appliance to the active directory enable me to access the logs with an AD account?

Marianne
Level 6

You need to do it the other way round - 

1) Share Open

2) net use....

Please confirm that Windows Firewall and AV software is configured or turned off in order to allow UNC mapping.
I need to temporarily disable it on my laptop before I can map the share.

I cannot answer your question about AD - I have never needed to do it and don't know how....

sdo

1) Our example command of mapping to L: assumes that L: is not already used.

2) Sometimes, Windows will hang on to net use mappings and or UNC paths, especially if you have tapped in the UNC path into Windows Explorer... and so what one has to do is:

net use

...then inspect the list, and any partial mappings then:

net use blah /delete

3) Do *NOT* do the net use L: \\my-appliance-name\logs /user:my-appliance-name\logs   from a DOS/cmd which is running with administrative rights, because you cannot then browse it with Windows Explorer.  So, do the "net use L: ..." from a normal DOS/cmd box.