Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware alternate restore hang on certain media server

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hello

I am experiencing a little strange thing when using a certain media server as recovery host the restore creates the virtual machine, sets the snapshot and establish the nbd connection to the esx host and then nothing happens

Netbackup 7.5.0.6 (Yes know that I should upgrade to 7.6.0.X ) on Windows 2008 R2

Wondered if anybody had seen something like it before ?

I already have a case at Symantec

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Seems that the problem was the deduplication store on the media server had not processed tlogs in quite a while. After restarting netbackup and fixing the issue preventing spoold from starting I can now restore with this media server as recovery host.

Now I just need to figure out a way to monitor the age of the oldest tlog other than logging in and running crcontrol --queueinfo on every media server each day

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Seems that the problem was the deduplication store on the media server had not processed tlogs in quite a while. After restarting netbackup and fixing the issue preventing spoold from starting I can now restore with this media server as recovery host.

Now I just need to figure out a way to monitor the age of the oldest tlog other than logging in and running crcontrol --queueinfo on every media server each day

SoerenHoevring
Level 2

Hi Michael,

As far as i know, the new version 7.6.0.1 is during the backups deduplication in "inline" state, so your deduplication would not need to go through all the tlogs and garbage collection.

So my suggestion to you, update to 7.6.0.1, but have in mind that there is some great new wonderfull errors coming up - that you haven't seen before........

We're running on Appliances 5230 2.6.0.1 and Windows 7.6.0.1, the performance is better but we saw less errors in 7.5.0.6 but problems with tlog processing along with garbage collection we're running in quite better shape after the update.

We needed to upgrade because of VMware 5.5 requirements.

//Soeren

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi michael,

i recently had similar error with Appliance at 7601 and vmware at 5.5. It was IRV though.

Could you please elaborate more on your vmware environment and how did you configured pre-reqs

its only NFS services which plays role here during restores

Ensure they are correctly setup as mentioned in pre-reqs

Server for NFS must be disabled

Portmapper must be set to auto and must be running

Client for NFS must be running on vCenter (if its backup host)

ESX must have NFS services allowed in Firewall security and whitelisted IP of MSDP

if possible pls increase verbose levels on vcenter and provide nbfsd and bpvmutil logs

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

What does NFS have to do with a nbd restore ??