cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is "Default Application Backup"?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.5.0.5, Oracle 11 on Solaris 10

i have a backup policy of type "Oracle" and it calls an RMAN script. my schedule is configured to run the script at 3am daily. once per day.

now i found that after the 3am script runs, another one is running! i checked my Schedule tab and saw there is a "Default Application Backup" automatically created with a backup window of 24x7.

question is, what is this default application backup and why is it 24x7? does this something to do why my script ran for a second time in one day?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

in Database backups like oracle , there is a application schedule which allows to the jobs for Database backups.

at 3 AM, netbackup tirggers the automatic schedule.. and this automatic scheules triggers the RMAN script that you have specified in backup selection.

this RMAN scritp will take the control and start taking the backup of Database and use the Default application scheule to send the DB backups.. this is by default open 24X7 to allow the RMAN to run all day..

automatic scheule only iniciates the script.. it does not take the actual DB backups.. application scheule is the actual one which take the DB backups..

this is all as per desing..

for more details go though the Netbckup oralce admin guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5175

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

in Database backups like oracle , there is a application schedule which allows to the jobs for Database backups.

at 3 AM, netbackup tirggers the automatic schedule.. and this automatic scheules triggers the RMAN script that you have specified in backup selection.

this RMAN scritp will take the control and start taking the backup of Database and use the Default application scheule to send the DB backups.. this is by default open 24X7 to allow the RMAN to run all day..

automatic scheule only iniciates the script.. it does not take the actual DB backups.. application scheule is the actual one which take the DB backups..

this is all as per desing..

for more details go though the Netbckup oralce admin guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5175

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The purpose of a "default-application-backup" schedule is to "catch" database backups where the policy and schedules hasn't been defined from the database side (That is NB_ORA_POLICY & NB_ORA_SCHED ). In order to do this catching the schedule is open 24*7. The "default-application-backup" does not initiate any backup if itself.

Personally - I don't like the default-application-backup schedule, and delete it right away to ensure DBA use the right policy's and schedules.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Use OIP and things change into something more palatable. I recommend OIP to simplify and make more understandable Oracle agent backups.

Jim

manatee
Level 6

i would like to add here that when the "Default-Application-Schedule" is deleted, the backup policy complains and doesn't run. ymmv maybe.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Exactly - and that means some of the Netbackup variables hasn't been configured correctly and "Default-Application" does a catch of the ball falling to the floor - so to say.