cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows server Snapshot

Andy2345
Level 6

Hi All,

My windows server backup is failing with error 156.

Now i have disable open file backup and few files are skipping now.(active files).Client is fine with those files being skipped.

In above  case snapshot will be created?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

Q. snapshot will not be created if I disable open file backup,?

Answer. Yes

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the answer is "yes," then what?

If the answer is "no," then what?

I would lock this thread outright but I'm curious to find out if you have any reason beyond "I just wanna know" for asking this question.

Andy2345
Level 6

running out of space on drive.thats why asking.Client is concerned abt this.

Please let me know yes or no and then close this thread.Please.this is real situation.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

running out of space on drive...

My question to the client would be: What is filling up your drive? Show me?

When we know what is filling up the drive we can investigate cause/source.

Andy2345
Level 6

user does not want that snapshot to be created.Drive is local.No space for snapshot.Client files are there on the drive.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems you did not understand my previous post...

You need to ask your customer to show you what is filling up disk space since WOFB has been disabled (assuming correct steps were taken to disable WOFB).

Your question 'snapshot will be created?' can easily be answered by looking at Job Details. 

Tell us if you see a difference for Client job where WOFB is enabled and a job where it is disabled.

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

If your client has a concern with Snapshot cache file creation and its size you can refer the Microsoft article below on how to change the cache file location.

Cache file is used by snapshot method (in your case VSS) to store original file blocks if they were changed during backup (this snapshot technology is known as "Copy on write"). If you are backing up a volume with lot of files and high file changes the size of cache file will be big however if file hanges are less then cache file size will be small.

Vssadmin add shadowstorage
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788051(WS.10).aspx

Andy2345
Level 6

snapshot will not be created if I disable open file backup,

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

Q. snapshot will not be created if I disable open file backup,?

Answer. Yes