cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to OpsCenter Analytics

Learning_Everyd
Level 5

I believe I know the answer, but I wanted to throw this out there anyway.  We are about to upgrade to 7.1 and wanted to put in OpsCenter Analytics, but with all of the clients we have and would add none of there pricing options are viable for us.  So would there happen to be any third-party apps that could give us similar functionality with Netbackup as does OpsCenter Analytics?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

When we had serious trouble with the old Veritas Backup Reporter (VBR) a couple of years ago, we looked at some of the alternatives but decided against them for various reasons.  the biggest reason was that none of them could integrate with or report on data any better than the standard free OpsCenter was capable. 

The closest feature set to OpsCenter Analytics (OCA) was Aptare's Backup manager, but it cost the same as OpsCenter Analytics and was missing some reports on hardware that we thought should have been there.

EMC's Data Protection Advisor was missing a number of key reports and didn't appear to have been updated for a while.

The few others that I found all suffered from the same problems: key reports that we thought would be standard were not available in those packages, they did not integrate well with NetBackup, and we could not justify their cost when compare to OCA. 

A note on my background with OCA: we had major, MAJOR issues with VBR and even OCA up until last year.  Reported data in most reports was unreliably innaccurate, selecting certain report options would cause a report to hang VBR/OCA, forecasting lines in charts were wrong (trending down instead of up), etc.  But in the past year or so, Symantec has done a much better job with OCA, and I seldom find anything glaringly wrong now.  A year ago, I would have probably told people to avoid OCA, but I've changed my tune now and think it is the best option for advanced reporting on NetBackup.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RonCaplinger
Level 6

When we had serious trouble with the old Veritas Backup Reporter (VBR) a couple of years ago, we looked at some of the alternatives but decided against them for various reasons.  the biggest reason was that none of them could integrate with or report on data any better than the standard free OpsCenter was capable. 

The closest feature set to OpsCenter Analytics (OCA) was Aptare's Backup manager, but it cost the same as OpsCenter Analytics and was missing some reports on hardware that we thought should have been there.

EMC's Data Protection Advisor was missing a number of key reports and didn't appear to have been updated for a while.

The few others that I found all suffered from the same problems: key reports that we thought would be standard were not available in those packages, they did not integrate well with NetBackup, and we could not justify their cost when compare to OCA. 

A note on my background with OCA: we had major, MAJOR issues with VBR and even OCA up until last year.  Reported data in most reports was unreliably innaccurate, selecting certain report options would cause a report to hang VBR/OCA, forecasting lines in charts were wrong (trending down instead of up), etc.  But in the past year or so, Symantec has done a much better job with OCA, and I seldom find anything glaringly wrong now.  A year ago, I would have probably told people to avoid OCA, but I've changed my tune now and think it is the best option for advanced reporting on NetBackup.

Amarnath_Sathis
Level 5

We use Opscenter Analytics in our environment and we feels its more user friendly.

It helps us better in reporting than before.