Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I missed something VBR 6.5

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I am new to VBR and need a bit of help.
First my VBR server is a Windows 2003 server, and I am trying to connect to a Solaris 10 Master server Netbackup 6.5

I've configured my agent on the VBR server to connect to my netbackup server on default ports.
CORBA 7806 and Server port 1556.
When clicking on "Show agent status" in VBR Console under global setting - agent setting I get a error message:

There was an error while getting complete module status for agent.
Error Message : Retries exceeded, couldn't reconnect to "IP_ADR":7806 "HOSTENAME"

Doing a telent from my VBR server to master server on port 7806 I get connection refued and no prosesses are listening on that port on my master server.

This is where I guess I fall of the configuration part. I can not find any information stating that i should install any pack's on my master server for VBR?
Am I supose to? Or is there something else I've missed?

Thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
Good job checking the communication through the NetBackup commands - that was going to be my next suggestion. =) 

Since your VBR agent server is authorized to your Master, that just leaves the agent configuration to check on.

Go in and edit the agent setup for that Master (Settings-->Global Settings-->Agents--><agent server name> --> <master server name>)

Double-check the 'Home Directory' and 'Volume Manager Home' fields. Those should be the location where NetBackup is installed on the agent server (which confused the heck out of me initially). Basically this is so the agent software can call all the NB commands to run against Masters. Also make sure the 'EMM Server Host' field is filled out correctly with the name of your Master.

You might also try setting the name qualification options to "Do not qualify", assuming your Master and the agent server are both in the same domain (which would make doing FQDN names kinda silly).

If that doesn't work still, can you take a look in the ..\agent\logs\err-0.log file and see if there are any errors posting in there that look like the cause of your problem ? 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
I have read a bit more and if Im not mistaking NBU Client software is required on VBR server, and a server entry for VBR server in bp.conf how come this is not in the install guide???

But even adding client software, and adding it same error message appears.
So qustion is why is there not any listeners on my master server listening on port 7806??

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
So, you installed nothing new on your Master server, but you expect it to allow you to connect on a new port just because you installed VBR elsewhere? =) 

Port 7806 only gets listened to on servers that have the agent software installed.

That said, first off check your forward & reverse lookups on both the agent server and your Master, make sure they can resolve each other.

Next...the server your VBR agent is running on must have the NetBackup Server software installed, not just the client software - that's how it runs all the commands against the Master to pull data. If you're going to use your VBR server as the agent server, then you need to have the NetBackup Server software installed there; an admin console install is fine though.

Give that a try and see if that fixes the problem.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
As I staded before I am new to VBR and therfore a few stupid questions.

My VBR server have the agent installed. I have not installed anything on my masterserver.
I only had the client software installed on my VBR server. I've uninstalled that and installed admin console instead. I've rebootet my server.

I've reconfigured my agent on VBR server and added a module pointing to my  masterserver.

But I get errors stating:

Collection status - Failed
Exception messsage - A2011 IOException and A218 Could not initiat data collection.

Any one?

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
I've testet using admin console to see if I could connect, and that works.

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
Good job checking the communication through the NetBackup commands - that was going to be my next suggestion. =) 

Since your VBR agent server is authorized to your Master, that just leaves the agent configuration to check on.

Go in and edit the agent setup for that Master (Settings-->Global Settings-->Agents--><agent server name> --> <master server name>)

Double-check the 'Home Directory' and 'Volume Manager Home' fields. Those should be the location where NetBackup is installed on the agent server (which confused the heck out of me initially). Basically this is so the agent software can call all the NB commands to run against Masters. Also make sure the 'EMM Server Host' field is filled out correctly with the name of your Master.

You might also try setting the name qualification options to "Do not qualify", assuming your Master and the agent server are both in the same domain (which would make doing FQDN names kinda silly).

If that doesn't work still, can you take a look in the ..\agent\logs\err-0.log file and see if there are any errors posting in there that look like the cause of your problem ? 

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Thanks you very much. That was the info I needet to get my VBR server to at least talk to my master server. Not ofcource remains to figure out how to use reports :)

Thanks again :)