cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP & OpsCenter

AV-IT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Trying to integrate OpsCenter with Nimsoft I was asked if OpsCenter supports SNMPGET. I assume it doesn't, but if someone can confirm or otherwise it will be v appreciated. Any experience with Nimsoft in the field? OpsCenter or NetBackup?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Lee_C
Level 5
As far as I am aware, the only snmp functionality in opscenter sending alerts. Opscenter can integrate with some enterprise tools.

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified

OC can send the SNMP alerts and doesn't matter which software is on the other side . Though OC admin guide just talks about HP openview and SCOM as tool but I have seen it working with various other utilities than can recieve SNMP alerts eg Trapreciever 

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

At this time, OpsCenter does not support SNMPGET / Remote retrieval of SNMP Traps.

If you would like to see this functionality introduced in a future release - please submit your idea to Symantec Ideashttps://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/welcome-symantec-ideas

Frequently asked SNMP and OpsCenter questions

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42859

Question

Answer

What are the default versions of SNMP that are supported in OpsCenter?

SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, and SNMPv3.

What is SNMPv2c? How it is different from SNMPv2?

See About SNMP versions

Is the OpsCenter SNMP community name configurable?

Yes.

See Configuring the SNMP trap community name for OpsCenter.

How is the OpsCenter community related to the public community?

Is the default community name of "OpsCenter" just a name for the community, but still considered public because of certain attributes?

The "OpsCenter" community used by OpsCenter is public, but the community name is maintained as "OpsCenter".

Generally, the "default read community string" for the public community is "public". Public community means read-only access to SNMP traps.

Alejo
Not applicable

Hi guys. I configured OpsCenter 7 for sending snmp-traps to my Omnibus box; but I never get those traps.

I have configured the "SNMP Host" and a couple of alerts, but none are received.. you know if need something else for this to work? license maybe?

OpsCenter is on MS-Windows server 2003; netcool/omnibus is on Linux.

thanx.

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Alejo,

Please check / verify the following:

1. Is there a Firewall between the hosts... physical or software based that could be preventing SNMP traffic. (Windows Firewall, or Linux Firewall )
  2. Check the logs directory for trap log files.  (./installpath/OpsCenter/Server/Logs/trap_2011_*.log )
  3. Test a 3rd Party SNMP listner on the OpsCenter host, and add the host as a SNMP recipient in OpsCenter for Testing.

--Tom