cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add Volume Manager Disk Group to a microsoft failover cluster

sukrui
Level 3

Hi,

I have a two node microsoft failover cluster running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64. I have sucessfully installed  VRTS_SF_Basic_5.1_SP2_Windows_64 on the nodes. I have created a cluster dynemic disk group and a mirrored volume.

When I try to add the disk group to the cluster as described at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH152512, I cannot find the "Add Volume manager Disk Group" option under "New service or application -> Add a resource -> More resources...".

I appreciate any comment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can download full product at http://www.symantec.com/business/storage-foundation-for-windows by following Trialware link (this is free to register).  As Wally says, this comes with an embedded eval key and if you want to use licenced version after this, you can simply enter a license (don't have to reinstall like you have to do for SF Basic).  If you have created any diskgroups in SF basic, you should be able to import these once you have reinstall full eval version.

Mike

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need to install the cluster option for MSCS which installs DLL so you can create a VmDg resource in MSCS, but I don't think this option is available for SF Basic.

Mike

sukrui
Level 3

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the explanation, I understand that the cluster option for MSCS is not available for SF Basic.

I am trying to test a solution before offering to a customer. I need to show them that SF RAID-0 is working fine with microsoft failover cluster.

Is it possible to get an evaluation license for trying the cluster option for MSCS?

Sukru

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Sukrui,

You are correct that SFW Basic does not support the MSCS option.  You will need to uninstall SFW basic and reinstall the regular SFW product.  It contains an embeded demo/eval key that will get you 60 days/2 months for testing.

Thanks,

Wally

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can download full product at http://www.symantec.com/business/storage-foundation-for-windows by following Trialware link (this is free to register).  As Wally says, this comes with an embedded eval key and if you want to use licenced version after this, you can simply enter a license (don't have to reinstall like you have to do for SF Basic).  If you have created any diskgroups in SF basic, you should be able to import these once you have reinstall full eval version.

Mike

sukrui
Level 3

Hello,

I have downloaded and installed VRTS_SF_HA_Solutions_5.1_SP2_R1_Windows_64 to my cluster nodes. (I did fresh install since I had my VMs cloned before installing SF basic). But nothing changed.  I still do not see the option in "more resources..." sub menu of my application.

The following products have been installed to my cluster nodes:

Veritas Operations Manager (Host Component)
Veritas Storage Foundation HA 5.1 SP2 for Windows (Client Components)
Veritas Storage Foundation HA 5.1 SP2 for Windows (Server Components)

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you choose the "cluster option for MSCS" when you installed (I think you have to have MSCS installed first to be able to choose this option).

Mike

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Note also you only need SFW, not SFW HA which is SFW (Storage Foundation for Windows) + VCS (Veritas Cluster Server).  If you have installed the HA component, then this may not give you MSCS cluster option as the installer would assume you were using VCS in place of MSCS.

Mike

sukrui
Level 3

Hello Mike,

I have installed Veritas Storage Foundation instead of Veritas Storage Foundation HA and the problem has been resolved.

Thanks for your help.