cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Group is not importing automatically after restart (in WIndows2003)

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I have Windows2003 Server.
I have Storage Foundation 5.1 installed and have one Disk Group which has 1 hard disk drive. When i restart the Win2003 PC the Disk Group is not being able to import automatically. i have to import it after restart the PC in windows. How can the DIsk Group import automatically after restart even i will not want to login my PC.

Thanks in Advance
Zahid Haseeb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zahid_Haseeb
1st of all SrikanthGubbala thanks alot for your kind help

Problem is resolved.

i have not found any Veritas DG Delayed Import Service. if you want to view the Veritas DG Delayed Import Service in the administration tools-->services in win2003 so you should have windows2003 R2 with iscsi initiator 2.08.

i just installed win2003R2 with iscsi 2.08 and ran the command vxdg -g DGname latestart on ( http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273694.htm ) and the problem is resolved.

thanks
zahid haseeb

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Zahid_Haseeb
any buddy is there to help out me :( ??????????

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
 http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303028.htm
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273694.htm

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
let me your environment details; does your boot disk alos contains in the DG?

Zahid_Haseeb
in your first recommanded article (  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303028.htm ) i ran the command ( vxdg -g<dg_name> -d import ) but when i restart my PC after ran this command i am not able to import my DG.....[the Disk Group which i made is without any check mark so i think its a Dynamic (secondary) DG]

in your 2nd recommanded article (  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273694.htm ) i am not able to view the Veritas DG Delayed Import Service in the Administration tool--->Service......
But even i tried to run the command which is recommanded by the article ( vxdg -g [disk group] latestart on ). i got an error
Failed to complete the operation...
V-40-49408-1: An unexpected error occured

Zahid_Haseeb
the boot disk is in the default DG  name BasicGroup which contain one disk drive with 2 volumes (and the hard disk is physically attached)....

and the other DG which i want to import automatically name userdata which also contain one another hard disk drive with one volume.(and this hard disk is a shared iscsi SAN disk)...This drive's DG is not being able to import automatically

thanks

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
give me the output of #vxdg -g userdata latestart on and run services.msc in run window; in the services window you will see Veritas DG Delayed Import Service

Zahid_Haseeb
# vxdg -g userdata latestart on

Failed to complete the operation...
V-40-32775-87: Invalid arguments.

no i am not able to see the Veritas DG Delayed Import Service in the services

Zahid_Haseeb
HeelloWWWW ?????

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
check if below listed services are available 

* Veritas DG Delayed Import Service -no
* Veritas Scheduler Service
* Veritas VSS Provider Service
* Symantec Plug-in Host Service
* VVRDCOM Bridge Service
* VxBridge Service
* Vxffdc Service
* VxSAS Service

also let me know the version of SFW you are in.

Zahid_Haseeb
Available services
Veritas Scheduler Service
Veritas VSS Provider Service
Symantec Plug-in Host Service

not available services
Veritas DG Delayed Import Service
VVRDCOM Bridge Service
VxBridge Service
Vxffdc Service
VxSAS Service

i am using SFW 5.1 version

thanks

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
do you have DMP as

"This message appears if Dynamic Multipathing Array Support Libraries (DMP ASL) are installed on a server that is attempting to use iSCSI devices. DMP ASL does not support iSCSI"

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292359.htm;

from which stroage you have iscsi storage coming from  (vendor pleas emc,HP, Hitachi, ibm), so go to add or remove programs; remove DMP and install the iscsi stroage multipath software.. this would definetly solve your problem.

Zahid_Haseeb
dear i have a virtual SAN and my PC is connected with virtual SAN via cross cable with 1G speed... and my SAN is perfectly connected with SAN bcuz i can manually import  the Disk Group via vxdg -g DG-name -f import . (But not auto import after restart.. even after login)
thanks

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
hmmm you should have told me first... that's ok... all features will not be available in this scenrio, what ever solution i have given is applicable for phyical environements... good testing you got know what types errors you can get.

please close this thread, stating it is not possible in virtual environments... or if you still want to dig into this; log a call with support and post solution here.

will be happy to hear from you.

Zahid_Haseeb
what do you mean???u mean that i cant auto import the DG if i am using the Vistual SAN? right ?

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

the DMP you are using will not support that.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/302144.pdf --check this

Zahid_Haseeb
i am not using DMP............i just have one cross ethernet cable which connects my PC(on which i have SFW 5.1 installed) to virtual SAN/ISCSI SAN....

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
hmmm; i think you are not able to co-relate things; let me give you a complete picture on this.

you were not able to auto import your disk which is coming from iscsi based virtual SAN. they question is why?
since the Windows DMP ASL does not support these kind of iscsi connections and for this you say you are not using DMP.
"by default windows DMP would be availlabe with lastest versions of windows OS" ; so because of this issue VERITAS DG Delayed Import Service service hung on starting. as this service is not starting; you are not able to excecute "vxdg -g userdata latestart on".

so final workaround i can suggest you is install DMP DSM given by symantec; if you are using evalution version; you will have this in the software provided; or else you need to have seperate license.
after installation; give a restart of your PC and then check VERITAS DG Delayed Import Service  is started. if started execute vxdg -g userdata latestart on. then give a restart and check.

finally let me know the output.

Zahid_Haseeb
i have NFR license. how can i find the  DMP DSM from the Media of SFW 5.1? 

but i have i question..may i must have a Physical SAN to use the DMP DSM software? or i can use the DMP DSM software with my virtual SAN

thank you very very much SRIKANTH for your kind help

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
i have NFR license. how can i find the DMP DSM from the Media of SFW 5.1?

in the installation doc of SFW 5.1 you will find how to add or remove features(i do not doc presently with me)

but i have i question..may i must have a Physical SAN to use the DMP DSM software? or i can use the DMP DSM software with my virtual SAN

install DMP DSM and check if it is working, give a try dude... try try to win :):):):):)