Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows veritas volume manager question

mokkan
Level 6
Certified

Hello,

We normally add RDM to windows server and configure the disks in  VxVM and VCS,  when we go to deivce manager in windows it will show the device name with vendor.   One of the server Windows admin created the disks using Spanned Dynamic without VxVM. After that  I can't see the device name in device manage it shows vmware virtual device. Is some thing normal ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mokkan,

In VMware, RDM disks can be presented to the VM in 2 different ways - physical mode and virtual mode.  With physical mode, the physical properties of the array are seen by the VM for the disks presented.  In virtual mode, the physical properties are hiden from the VM and the disks appear the same as when using VMDK - AKA the disks are seen as VMWare disks.

It sounds like you have this server setup to use RDM in virtual mode.  You should be able to edit the VM settings to change the mode to physical.  I'm not sure if this change can be done with the VM running or if it needs to be powered off to change it.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mokkan,

In VMware, RDM disks can be presented to the VM in 2 different ways - physical mode and virtual mode.  With physical mode, the physical properties of the array are seen by the VM for the disks presented.  In virtual mode, the physical properties are hiden from the VM and the disks appear the same as when using VMDK - AKA the disks are seen as VMWare disks.

It sounds like you have this server setup to use RDM in virtual mode.  You should be able to edit the VM settings to change the mode to physical.  I'm not sure if this change can be done with the VM running or if it needs to be powered off to change it.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thank you,

Wally