cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating shared disk group - help

Not applicable
I'm running Solaris 8 w/ Foundation Suite 4. I'm trying to cluster two hosts to a SAN, and using VCS to cluster. So first step is to get disk groups shared. I cannot because when I do a vxdctl -c mode , it shows:

mode: enabled: cluster inactive

I've gone through the vxvm documentation with a fine toothed comb, but perhaps I'm interpreting things wrong. This is what I'm reading:

"To make effective use of the cluster functionality of VxVM requires that you configure a cluster monitor (such as provided by Sun Java System Cluster software, or by GAB (group membership and atomic broadcast) in VCS). For a VCS environment, use the vxcvmconfig command on any node to configure the cluster to use the cluster functionality of VxVM. The vxcvmconfig command is not included with Veritas Volume Manager"

Reading that, I assume my first step to get disk groups shared, would be to enable the cluster functionality of VxVM, using the vxcvmconfig command that should've come w/ the VCS install. I have VCS installed with ALL packages, however, this vxcvmconfig command does not exist anywhere. I did a find of the entire file system.

So is the documentation incorrect? Can someone please provide insight? TIA!
1 REPLY 1

John_Nam
Level 2
Ok, I figured it out thanks to an old thread.

I had only VCS installed. Apparently you need VCSFS installed also, which my temp license didn't cover. Of course, the documentation makes no mention of VCSFS , it only says "If you're using VCS". Stupid documentation!