cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Encapsulation problems on Solaris 8 VxVM 4.1

Maurizio_Casu_2
Level 3
Hi all,

I'm having a lot of problem encapsulating the boot disk on a Solaris environment with SF HA 4.1 installed. My partition table is like that:

slice 0 -> /
slice 1 -> swap
slice 6 -> /var
slice 7 -> /app

After vxinstall completed and vxconfigd deamons started succesfully (after vxinstall I've rebooted to system too) I try to encapsulate the boot disk, c7t10d0, using vxdiskadm, but I immediately see something of strange. VxVM is telling me to assign the format type of the disk (cds or sliced? ... that's really strange):

Select disk devices to encapsulate:
c7t10d0
Here is the disk selected. Output format:

c7t10d0

Continue operation? (default: y)
You can choose to add this disk to an existing disk group or to
a new disk group. To create a new disk group, select a disk group name that does not yet exist.

Which disk group (default: rootdg)
There is no active disk group named rootdg.

Create a new group named rootdg? (default: y)

Use a default disk name for the disk? (default: y)
A new disk group will be created named rootdg and the selected disks will be encapsulated and added to this disk group with default disk names.

c7t10d0

Continue with operation? (default: y)
The following disk has been selected for encapsulation.
Output format:

c7t10d0

Continue with encapsulation? (default: y)
A new disk group rootdg will be created and the disk device c7t10d0 will be encapsulated and added to the disk group with the disk name rootdg01.

Enter the desired format (default: cdsdisk) sliced

The operation seems to finish correctly, infact a reboot is now requested from VxVM, but when the system tries to come up it stops saying me:

Rebooting with command: boot
SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_117350-22 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Hardware watchdog enabled
VxVM sysboot INFO V-5-2-3390 Starting restore daemon...
VxVM sysboot INFO V-5-2-3409 starting in boot mode...
NOTICE: VxVM vxdmp V-5-0-34 added disk array DISKS, datype = Disk

configuring IPv4 interfaces: qfe0.
Hostname: new-imagine-b
VxVM vxvm-startup2 INFO V-5-2-503 VxVM general startup...
VxVM vxvm-reconfig INFO V-5-2-324 The Volume Manager is now reconfiguring (partiti on phase)...
VxVM vxvm-reconfig INFO V-5-2-499 Volume Manager: Partitioning c7t10d0 as an encap sulated disk.
/etc/rcS.d/S86vxvm-reconfig: /etc/vx/reconfig.d/disks-cap: cannot create

At this point the only way to have my system up is a break of the system, boot net -sw, restore system partition table from /etc/vx/reconfig.d/disk.d/c7t10d0/vtoc file and reboot in multi user mode.
Another attempt of encapsulation has the same result!

Have you got any suggestions / idea about it? My /var/adm/meesages hasn't nothing that can help me to understand what is wrong!

I've already verified what explained in the document id seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234895.htm but my vfstab is correct!
0 REPLIES 0