cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advices

Amine_Oumokhtar
Level 2
Hello Fellows,

A partner has proposed to use Veritas Storage Foundation to manage the High availabilty of a cusomized solution that I will install for a customer. I have seen in the purchase order that we have ordered Veritas Storage Foundation 5.0, it should ensure the High availability of MySql Database Solution and Tomcat Server on the 2 Sun Fire X4270 x64 Server with Sun StorageTek(TM) 2540 FC Array as external storage.
The proposed high availability architecture is the following :
- MySql in Active-Standby architecture : Veritas solution should manage the high avaialability, the mysql data directory should be mounted on the active node and if the service fails over , Veritas should mount it on the Standby node.
- Tomcat also in Active-Standy Architecture, and the Veritas Solution should manage this.

Could someone please give some advices, what should I install and how to configure? , I'm little bit confused with the Veritas product I found in the Veritas SF Delivery (Cluster Foundation, Cluster Server, Volume Replicator ....), The only thing that I know, is the product name "Veritas Storage Foundation 5.0".

Thanks for your help.
Amine
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello Amine,

I don't have a ready config however if you have a look at VCS Users guide  you should get a very fair idea on how to configure a group in a Active-passive mode.  VCS users guide would be available on same link I gave in my previous post.

Also VCS Bundled Agents guide contains good information on how agents work & some sample configurations.

Gaurav

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi Amine,

If you are intending to make a cluster & that to Active-passive.... you need to install a Veritas Cluster Server for this....

Veritas cluster server takes care of high availability... In case you want to have a full Active Active setup, then there are other solutions like Cluster Filesystem... If you intend to install DR solution at other site, you will use Veritas Volume Replicator...

Along with Veritas cluster server, if you run default installer script OR installsf , that should install Veritas volume manager and veritas filesystem as well....

During the installation of sf, it will ask you "whether you want to configure high availability at this time" ... If you say yes, it will lead you to install & then configure cluster server... You need to simply answer the questions coming on the screen... for e.g
-- unique cluster name
-- unique cluster ID (any number between 1-9999)
-- NIC card names to be used for heartbeats ..

etc..

Alternatively, you can just install the product by using "installonly" switch ... like "installsf - installonly" ... this will just install the packages...

later you can configure by using "installsf -configure" option...

Read through VCS Install guide / SF Install guide for more details..

Guides can be located on

https://vos.symantec.com/documents              (select OS / Select Product Guides)

Hope this helps

Gaurav

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I fully agree with Gaurav - read up as much as you can, but also use the partner for assistance with the design, installation and configuration. Preparation will ensure successful/problem-free installation and cluster functionality.

Documentation and downloads of Cluster agents can be found here: https://vos.symantec.com/agents

Also double-check Hardware Compatibility List:

SF/HA Unix 5.0 MP3 HCL
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Foundation_Suite/283161.pdf

Hardware TechNote:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Foundation_Suite/283282.pdf

Amine_Oumokhtar
Level 2

Hi Gaurav

Thanks a lot for these informations, I really appreciate it.

I will use Solaris 10 X86 as OS, do you have any tutorial or an already working config similar to what I have proposed for mysql? I would like to use it as a reference to start my configuration.

Thanks again.
Amine

Amine_Oumokhtar
Level 2

Thank you Marianne. I will take all that advieces into consideration.

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello Amine,

I don't have a ready config however if you have a look at VCS Users guide  you should get a very fair idea on how to configure a group in a Active-passive mode.  VCS users guide would be available on same link I gave in my previous post.

Also VCS Bundled Agents guide contains good information on how agents work & some sample configurations.

Gaurav

Amine_Oumokhtar
Level 2

Thanks fellows, I have now a better view of what I should install and configure.