cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Providing Tech Details in Forum Posts

Kimberley
Level 6
Partner

Here's a suggestion from Tech Support: If you’re looking for the answer to a question, consider adding the following information to your post to help out those who just may have the solution.

• Product Name and Version
  • Platform Name and Version
  • Exact Error Message
  • Describe the problem symptoms and history

Also, for details about where to post content in Connect (blog vs article, etc) please check out 'What's the Difference Between a Blog and an Article: Content Explained'

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

GeorgeC
Level 4
Great idea, I've gotten into the habit of doing this over the years, saves some time and it makes searching for previous solutions to your problem(s) much easier.

deepak_vasudeva
Level 6

>>Exact Error Message

I have a concern regarding this. Sometimes the user copies and pastes the text verbatim into public messageboards and there might be user-confidential information which might get inadvertently divulged. I would suggest let them share the other things and when a TechSupport demands this can be shared through a PM.

Furthermore sometimes the verbose error messages might be voluminous and might inundate the forums unwantedly.

g_lee
Level 6
If there is confidential information the user can obscure this, the point is the important part is the exact format/wording of the error message, and the error code(s) if applicable.

If the user does not want to post the information publicly / wishes to send it privately, it would probably be a better idea to deal with Tech Support directly, rather than risk getting misleading/incorrect diagnoses from other users here due to lack of information.

Re: voluminous logs - generally most users would post the specific message/error they are concerned about; sometimes further logs are required to get a better picture, even so, unless the entire log is posted it's generally not that much of an issue. The idea is to provide relevant details up front so the problem can be resolved faster.

In terms of "inundating the forums unwantedly" - I wouldn't regard having complete messages (even if verbose) as unwanted, particularly if it helped to resolve an issue; unwanted inundation would be more along the lines of unhelpful suggestions that demonstrate material lack of understanding, such as your comment(s) above.