cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxFS 4.1 MP1/MP2 Issue

Sameer_Nirmal
Level 4

Hi,

We are dealing with a problem on systems running SunOS 5.10 and SE 4.1 MP1,MP2 with VCS.

The problem is continuous increase in the kernel heap size. We created a forced crash dump with kmem flag enabled. We found that it's VxFS which is contibuting to the increase in the heap size. This problem is also exist with VXFS 4.1 MP2 besides MP1. We have all required patches installed.

The stack trace shows the following vxfs modules:

vxfs:vx_zalloc

vxfs:vx_ireuse

vxfs:vx_iget

vxfs:vx_dirlook

vxfs:vx_lookup

Looking around, it seems that vxfs 4.1 have had some known issues and Symantec had provided some patches to fix them. One of them we came across for vxfs 4.1MP1 is patch 121390-01 which seems to be only available from Symantec. Maybe there are some other patches for MP1 and MP2  but we don't know.

Is there anyone who have had seen this behaviour and found solution?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks you.

Sam

2 REPLIES 2

Antony_Pavlenko
Level 4

Hello. I have seen the same problem. After 30 days of uptime kernel memory was near 60% of all memory. At this system I turn on kmem flags and collect guds once a day.

Instalation of mp1 doesn't help. But when we install mp2 with the last rp (and solaris patches) problem goes away and now kernel memory at this system stay the same and doesn't grow.

Sameer_Nirmal
Level 4

Hello, Thank you for replying here and sharing your experience. It was useful.

By any chance, do you  know what rp and solaris patches were applied at the time for MP2?

I guess there might be some rp patches and solaris patches for MP1 but don't see any information about it.