cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why alarm messages & email not sent to users??

James_Tan_2
Level 3
I have followed & put in the necessary settings for both file blocking & space allocation. However,the alarm messages are not sent to users at all. The messages are displayed on my server's screen.

When i check the server's event viewer, the messages are send out to administrator from my server name.

Any clues?
4 REPLIES 4

pmyint
Level 3
I can get the notification to work via the SE 5.3 Net Send Alerts to user accounts but the NOT the EMAILS ??
Any Ideas?

pmyint
Level 3
Got the email notifications to work

use the following in the TO Field

Then put in any title you wish but ensure that you have configured the Mail Settings correctly

James_Tan_2
Level 3
hey thanks phillip.ive given up on the alarm messages. seems the messages were not send to all machines and i dont know why.

so now i am looking at sending the alarms thru email using exchange server.

under the mail tab, what entries should i put under smtp mail settings and exchange mail settings? i wish to use exchange server but i dont know the mail server.also do i need to check the "Use AD for email"? and insert in the TO Field?

server is a member server running win2k3 std ver.

hope someone can help me:(

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
Hi James:

Storage Exec uses Net send to send messages to the user, Net Send in turn is based on the messager service. The problem with the messager service is that it reports the first machine is sees on the network where the user is logged in and sends the msgs there... so sometimes the message functionality doesn't seem to work ... however the funcitionality is indeed working however the msg is not going to the machine that the user thinks that it should but it is infact going to the machine that the messager services sees that the user is logged on.

To use the exchange server for email, a profile needs to be setup on server where storage exec is installed. That profile username and password are entered in the global properties of Storage Exec.

If you want to use the smtp server for email just enter that info in the global properties. and use the test button to see if the functionality is working and that your email server is working.

Use AD for email option just extracts the user email from AD, who violates the quota. you need to put in the to field... however if you don't want to use the AD option you can simply put @yourcompany.com and that would work too.

_Shazam