cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Anyone Think This Product is Any Good..

pmyint
Level 3
I am in the process of testing and deploying but Apart from the White paper there doesn't seem to be much info on the net about this nor has there been any rave reviews about this prodcut?

Can someone please share with me their exp with this product or provide links to userful information?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=xover&group=veritas.storagecentral.english&utag=

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/SCSRM_digest.htm

http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_SCSRM.htmMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Richard_Hutchin
Level 2
Basically, after trawling the web for similar products I have come to the conclusion that this probably is the best Quota management available on the Windows platform.

Storage Exec has a good range of features & configurable elements to control user behaviour.

HOWEVER - be aware that this product does appear to have the worst Technical support available anywhere! If you have a problem, you realistically appear to be on your own to fix it - following the obvious question of "Have you rebooted it?"

I have full support on other Veritas products (NetBackup & Storage Foundation) and I can honestly say that this could not be more opposite. Support on these products is fantastic (via the enterprise support team) but Storage Exec is only deemed a Commercial product.

Veritas\Symantec – Please read this and sort out the support aspect of the product, as the technical details are perfect.

James_Ingram
Level 4
> Basically, after trawling the web for similar
> products I have come to the conclusion that this
> probably is the best Quota management available on
> the Windows platform.

I disagree. 'Quota and File Sentinel' is the best on the market, 'Storage Exec' comes in 2nd. If you are comparing whats on the market against price, then yes I would agree, 'Storage Exec' wins. 'Quota and File Sentinel' is expensive but the product is by far the best available, better GUI, more intuitive, more functionality etc. I dont endorse either product however the latest lab we did saw our client purchasing 'Storage Exec' over 'Quota and File Sentinel' purely because of the price aspect.

pmyint
Level 3
Well - everything is running well with HF12 applied but still having issues with the remote agent ..

but gave up on that .. in the end .. just using RDP to the server and managing it that way..

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
I've been using this product for the past year and 've been very happy with it. Sure the name of the product has changed... from StorageCentral to Storage Exec... but i've seen feature being added to the product consistently, also you would be hard pressed to find 3 tools namely Quota Management, File Blocking & Reporting natively out of the box.

Also do you know :

- Quota management provided in Windows 2k onwards is based on Storage Exec..
- Quota management and File Screening provided in Microsoft Storage Server (windows on NAS devices) also use Storage Exec lite version (MS licensed the product).
- Guess where all the Quota Management came in R2... if you guessed a lite version of SE... you would've guess correctly.

A friend of mine has this to say about the Storage Management in R2:

1) When reports are generated from the CLI, CPU utilization is at 100% for the entire time of the report generation process. Running from the GUI is around 90% CPU utilization. Seems to be much higher than Storage Exec. In addition, I found reference within the newsgroups that reports should NOT be run when users are on the files server due to the heavy load the report process places on the file servers.

2) Report output only contains 100 objects (Files). You will see a Warning note that states the 100 file limit within the reports. I ran other reports and came across the same issue.

3) R2 has NO centralized admin component.

4) 8 Report with NO Customization Capability. Report output fields are significantly limited.

5) If a drive doesn't exist on the system, the Report CLI will fail with a "parameter is incorrect" message.

6) Only Audit information can be saved into a local database. I could NOT find any info on Trending and there were NO configurable options for storing Audit information into a Centralized Database.

7) CSV report format was an option and not TSV.

8) File Screening is limited to extension only. No content checking and no ability to quarantine files.

9) R2 does require Windows 2003 SP1. Without it, it won't install.