cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After boot drive restore, computer does not boot

Chris_Smith_2
Level 3
I'm currently trying to evaluate this product and am using the non-licensed downloaded version.

We're using an HP Proliant ML 370 with a single SCSI hard drive. We made a "drive based" backup of C: to an external USB drive. The SRD CD boots fine and says it found all the drivers needed. We also checked the drive for errors and it said it was fine. We switched the C: for another blank SCSI drive (original was 18GB, the new one was 72GB) to simulate a drive failure. We ran the recovery of the C: and everything seemed to go fine. We received no errors.

When we rebooted after the recovery, the last message we get on the server is "Attempting boot from drive C:" and it just sits there.

I've verified the partition on the hard drive is active. I've even was able to run a chkdsk on it. But I can not get it to boot.

I've also edited the Boot.ini file to change the boot partition number (it was originally 2) and have tried 0, 1, 2 and also 3 with no change.

I've gone thru this process twice now with the same results. Either I'm doing something wrong (and I've tried to follow the user's guide to the letter), or this product does not like this hardware.

Any clues?

3 REPLIES 3

AJT
Level 6
Did you see the Restore Anyware screen when running though the BESR recovery wizard? Did the Restore Anyware process run?

Clifton_Hasting
Level 3
Hi Chris,

Unfortunately Restore Anywhere is not activated in the trial version of the product.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Restoring back to a larger drive on the same controller does not require the Restore Anyware option (RAO). BESR 8.5 should allow you 60-day trial that includes the RAO option to test in this environment. Working with a previous customer on a similar hardware retargeting issue, it is best to first update the firmware of the system more specifically the SCSI controller, be sure that the proper RAID configuration has been made, and use the most updated RAID controller driver from the manufacturer of the controller itself, in this case for BESR 8.5 that would be the Windows 2008 driver before attempting a restore.; during the retargeting phase (if you use RAO) if a OS specific mass storage driver is needed you will be prompted for one that you can provide either from a mapped network drive or from a memory stick drive.