cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESE 7 cannot connect to 6.5.x agents

Wilson
Level 2
Hi all,

I have the following error: "You are trying to connect to an unsupported version of BESR : BESR server edition 6.5.0.17171" when i add a earlier version of the agent in the v7 console.

I suppose there are major changes in v7 and this implies you have to upgrade all 6.5.x agents?

Thanks,
Wilson
4 REPLIES 4

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It appears you are using the standard "1-to-1" console, in which case you are correct.  In order to manage BESR 6.5 agents you will need to use the 6.5 version of the "1-to-1" console.  The 7.0 version of the "1-to-1" console can manage 7.0 agents.

The Full "1-to-many" console available with BESR 7.0 (called Backup Exec System Recovery Manager) can manage both 7.0 and 6.5 clients.

Thanks.

Wilson
Level 2
Thanks Bill, btw do you know if this 1-M console is available separately or a free download for customers who had upgraded to v7?

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
My understanding is that Backup Exec System Recovery Manager (BESRM) is a separate purchase.  With one instance of BESRM you can manage as many server/desktop systems as you need, although the best practice suggestion is to manage a maximum of 500 server/desktop clients with one instance of BESRM.

Thanks.

BarrySchaeffer
Level 2
Bill,

Two questions:

1. I am using BESR Desktop 7.0 on my XP Pro box.  I was able to deploy the agent to another XP box with no problem.  It appears that I cannot connect to the agent on the other box unless I shut off the Windows Firewall, in which case I can connect without a problem.  The File and Printer sharing box is checked inside the Firewall exceptions, which I suppose is the reason that I could deploy without a problem.

Is there a specific TCP or UDP port for which I must configure a separate exception?

2. Do I need to configure a license on machines on which I have installed the agent?  Is so, how do I do this?

Barry Schaeffer
425-446-5635